PROPER WING CLIPPING TO AID IN CONTAINMENT WITH PERIMETER FENCING

Extremely interesting, thank you for going to the trouble to chart out your results.
Thanks. Working on some new where trying to more effectively attract night flying eats to same penned birds used in experiment. Eating lots of insects greatly reduces the chickens inclination to cross barriers, much better than actual feed does.

With wing clipping ONLY CLIP THE SECONDARY FLIGHT FEATHERS... When you spread out a birds wing there is a small feather in the middle of the wing DO NOT CLIP PAST THERE... The small feather Is called a Axial.. that is what separates the primary flight feathers from the secondary flight feathers... The secondary flight feathers are on the left if you are doing the left wing (from the rear stand point) and on the right if you are doing the right wing... MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT CLIP PAST THE AXIAL. If you do the that could be horrible for the bird

With wing clipping ONLY CLIP THE SECONDARY FLIGHT FEATHERS... When you spread out a birds wing there is a small feather in the middle of the wing DO NOT CLIP PAST THERE... The small feather Is called a Axial.. that is what separates the primary flight feathers from the secondary flight feathers... The secondary flight feathers are on the left if you are doing the left wing (from the rear stand point) and on the right if you are doing the right wing... MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT CLIP PAST THE AXIAL. If you do the that could be horrible for the bird
That is the opposite of what is done to reduce thrust. Thrust is what allows for vertical / forward movement beyond what legs provide by jumping. Where did you get this information?

@RWise, few if any will be able to replicate your observations in an effort to confine their flock.

I myself hope that no one ever clips the wing/s of their bird as the one I was gifted. Please do not reproduce that!
But I have already told you we will have to agree to disagree on this!

To others I do not experiment on my birds, I try to keep my birds happy. I will forever disagree with the way clipping (both wings) is described in this thread (or over clipping one), and I will never clip more than one wing more than the light tips of the feathers. That is all that is ever need to stop fight. And if you take to much, not only can the bird be damaged, but may not be able to get away from a predator. Find the problem and fix that instead.

Last edited:
I myself hope that no one ever clips the wing/s of their bird as the one I was gifted. Please do not reproduce that!
But I have already told you we will have to agree to disagree on this!

To others I do not experiment on my birds, I try to keep my birds happy. I will forever disagree with the way clipping (both wings) is described in this thread (or over clipping one), and I will never clip more than one wing more than the light tips of the feathers. That is all that is ever need to stop fight. And if you take to much, not only can the bird be damaged, but may not be able to get away from a predator. Find the problem and fix that instead.
It is time you back up what you say. Show us where the chickens you have are inclined to go off property and how you stop it, using pictures. So far you have simply argued without providing anything constructive. That does not constitute a disagreement, disruptive yes, but not a disagreement.

Back
Top Bottom