PROPER WING CLIPPING TO AID IN CONTAINMENT WITH PERIMETER FENCING

Pics
Americana, just an idea for you to consider. If there is not a solid surface on the top, such as a board on the top of a fence , a chicken will almost never try going over. If you’ll watch, almost every chicken will observe, then fly up & land on a solid surface. They will then decide their next objective from their new vantage point. I have a friend that has a low gate into the chicken yard but they have hardware cloth extended about 12” above the gate frame. Their chickens never fly over!
Purpose of this thread is to properly explore wing clipping technique.

Purpose of this thread is to properly explore wing clipping technique.
It would seem that originally it was about attempting to control escaping chooks from a protective enclosure & the method mentioned was wing clipping, of which some seemed squeamish of this barbaric habit. :lau
In return, I attempted to give information to help prevent these escape artists. So if everyone wants to just spend time uselessly arguing their opinions about to clip or not to clip without any alternative methods… by all means, carry on!

I’m happy to hear all ideas for keeping chickens inside the fence. I don’t agree with wing clipping being barbaric though lol

It would seem that originally it was about attempting to control escaping chooks from a protective enclosure & the method mentioned was wing clipping, of which some seemed squeamish of this barbaric habit. :lau
In return, I attempted to give information to help prevent these escape artists. So if everyone wants to just spend time uselessly arguing their opinions about to clip or not to clip without any alternative methods… by all means, carry on!
I am the one that started the conversation and it was intended to limit subsequent futile arguments.

Back
Top Bottom