Props to the HovaBator Genesis 1588 w/automatic turner!

The only thing I would change is that I chickened out and took the babies out that had hatched after 12 hours. I thought we opened the lid as quickly as possible--we grabbed all the chicks (13) and my husband grabbed all the egg shells and we closed it back up. Humidity shot right back up. But after that, the membranes on the eggs that had pipped looked dry, not moist like they had before. I was really worried I had doomed the last 19 eggs. They did manage to hatch successfully, but next time, I'll just let all of them bang around in there for two days before I open the lid.

Sarah

I didn't put a stand-alone hygrometer in. Just went by what the digital readout said. And it must have worked!!
GQF has added a little stapled on flyer basically saying "don't mess with the built-in humidity levels" to the front of the directions. I guess they mean it--worked great!!!
-Sarah

I just ordered this incubator and am pretty excited about it. The reviews have said that the new edition (2012) was re-tooled and doesn't need the "extra" hygrometer. Would it still be wise to stick one in there?

My Marans mentor says she hatches at 50% day 1-18 and then 70% at lock down. I am in CA so not much ambient humidity, and she is down South, so very different climates for hatching. I've had bad luck in an old Brower incubator, where we could never get the humidity more than 40-ish%, then a bit higher at hatch. Anyway, you can't SEE anything in them, so I think that having to open up the whole entire lid to take chicks out really messes with the Marans. I've had much, much higher success with broodies! But there is never one when I want her (except maybe my bantam Cochin!!!).

Anyway, for my Splash Marans program, I need to hatch out more and regularly, so I read up on all sorts of incubators and got the 1588. Glad to find this thread. How did the second hatch go?

Hatch #2 went almost identically to hatch #1.
Filled Bator (42 of my own backyard mix eggs)
Had 12 clears
30 went to lockdown
28 hatched. (93% hatch rate)
Again, followed the directions to the letter. No alterations.
The only thing I notice is that the chicks tend to hatch the night of day 19 and most come out on day 20.
I have been calling the day I set the eggs as day 0, like I was told to do, but I think I'll just call it day 1 from now on.

I am just finishing up my first hatch in the Brinsea Octagon. I like it, automatic and all the bells and whistles and all that. BUT, when it came to lock down and hatching, I just want something where I can see more and give more head room to the chicks. With the pump setup, the chicks are always bumping into it.

Curious what you all think of the headroom for the chicks in this Hovabator?

TIA!
Jenn

edited for failure to spell check!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom