Pros and Cons of letting hen hatch own chicks?

When hens hatch their own chicks, they mother them! That is the biggest pro there is. Nothing wrong what-so-ever with incubation, but, no having to set up a brood box, or use a heat lamp, change shavings, etc, etc is a great thing.
smile.png
They keep them warm and safe from the other chickens(or roos), and you don't have the issue of having to introduce them to the flock, because they will be born there.

I agree w/ the previous post! This is our first go with hatching eggs and we're letting our broody do it. We are looking to hatch out this weekend so I don't have any pros/cons as far as mothering yet, but if she does as good a job as she's doing right now, we will have nothing to worry about! She is doing great! Such a sweetheart too! I've read to use caution when around a broody, but she knows we aren't going to hurt her or bother her eggs so all she does is puff up. Doesn't try to nip or fight. Around the other chickens she lets them know she means business, but there aren't really any problems. We have her in her own place in the coop separate from the others so nobody can get in there bother her eggs. I like the idea of letting nature be the way it was designed to be. Nothing wrong with incubation, I may even use it in the future, but as long as I have a broody willing to do the work, I'll gladly let her! Something so mesmerizing watching animal mommies with their babies, I can't wait!
jumpy.gif

I can only reply based on my years of experience raising exotic birds. I have generally chosen not to incubate because hens were created to raise chicks.... they keep them perfectly heated, humidity controlled and fed once hatched - *generally*. Of course there are always some not-so-great mothering hens, but all in all I feel they are better than "technology". Having said that, it is often true that chicks raised by a hen/mother will not be as people friendly, though that just means some extra tlc on our part to change that. The flip side is I don't see aggression from the flock towards chicks since they are there from the beginning.... when/if we introduce a new bird, there often needs to be a very watchful period since the established flock wants to be sure the "newbie" understands the pecking order and territory that's claimed.

We've had our share of issues with incubators too. A friend just lost all 40 eggs in her incubator because the temp control had a problem one evening. Very sad.

I think it comes down to us working with them either way.... hopefully even a broody hen was well socialized so her letting us work with chicks wouldn't be an issue AND the plus is that the chicks would already be socialized with the established flock (and that's HUGE). Obviously socializing chicks we get as day-olds shouldn't be difficult, though they will each have their own personality. The concern then is introducing them to the established flock. I haven't had to do that yet, but will soon and it makes me nervous. I've heard enough stories about how older hens kill the younger ones. I think there are a lot of factors there though and most of those we can control
thumbsup.gif

Anybody have issues with introducing chicks to an established flock? Or, in our case, a flock that was neglected in the past and has been cared for by us for about 9months now?

Hmm, I'd be interested in hearing from some that have done this before as to what their experiences were. I can see how that may be a factor. Between my three boys and I, they will get all kinds of socialization. But you're right, they will already have a mommy unlike our first batch sent from the hatchery that had me for a mommy. I'm not too worried about it, but it is food for thought!
caf.gif

Hmm, I'd be interested in hearing from some that have done this before as to what their experiences were. I can see how that may be a factor. Between my three boys and I, they will get all kinds of socialization. But you're right, they will already have a mommy unlike our first batch sent from the hatchery that had me for a mommy. I'm not too worried about it, but it is food for thought!
caf.gif

That's exactly what it takes... all kinds of socialization. Besides, our first 16 hens were rescued from a farm and came to us naked as could be and the lady had never handled them other than to shove them with a thick leather glove. Here, just months later, my children (7boys 2 girls) can carry them and gather eggs and the hens even know how to wait for turns for things LOL!

I pay as much attention to the chicks I got from tractor supply that I can, and they love to run up to me when I put my hand in the brooder box to hand feed them. I don't know what the behavior of a hen would be after she hatched the chicks. Would it be just like any other mother protecting her babies from everything? or would she let a person come up and cuddle her babies? I love the idea of letting nature have it's way, but the socializing is one of my main worries.

Back
Top Bottom