Pros and cons of unsexed chicks?

Pics
If you buy from hatchery, there are breeds not available sexed, such as bantams or rarer breeds. If you prefer to buy from an individual breeder, they are likely not available sexed.
Unsexed are usually cheaper (but you have to have a plan for the inevitable cockerels. If you plan to eat them, then maybe that's the way to go.)

This could be based on opinion, but generally people find the extremely possible chance of ending up with a bunch of poor unwanted cockerels as cons of unsexed chicks. :p And I think possibly a pro is, if you get them unsexed, you can end up with some good pullets, as well as a happy feeling on not specifically buying 'only pullets', because I believe most hatcheries just (whether humanely or not) slaughter their leftover cockerels. :( (And you wouldn't really be supporting that if you bought unsexed, I believe). :thumbsup

BTW, if you buy unsexed (straight run) from a feed store, at least in the USA, you may find that you get all cockerels. What I have learned on BYC is that feed stores are notorious for mislabelling chicks. I saw a sign recently on a bin of chicks that said, "Straight Run Pullets." Employees are often not knowledgeable about poultry.

Yep I guess that’s an opinion thing. Never thought about that last part though but that’s a very good and valid point. At the same time you usually do wind up with more than one rooster when you get them unsexed and it is extremely hard to rehome a rooster. There’s so many roosters without a good home or waiting for one. I see them being given out for free if somebody will just take them on craigslist or even on this site. My personal opinion is unless you Intend to keep or somehow use the rooster ( like for food) I wouldn’t go for unsexed And less you know somebody that would take in Roosters for you. That’s my opinion but not everybody’s. Which is fine. And it is harder to find the more rare breeds that are already sexed but I did find a hatchery last year that offered some of the rare breeds as pullets I think it was cackle hatchery. I’d have to go back and look. I never did end up ordering the chickens I saw on there. Just too nervous to do my first mail order

BTW, if you buy unsexed (straight run) from a feed store, at least in the USA, you may find that you get all cockerels. What I have learned on BYC is that feed stores are notorious for mislabelling chicks. I saw a sign recently on a bin of chicks that said, "Straight Run Pullets." Employees are often not knowledgeable about poultry.
THIS ^^
x2

Straight run pullets. I always say TSC shouldn’t even put up the labels because they’re usually wrong. Even worried when I do get chIckes there that are labeled pullets because they were so bad about miss labeling. I’m lucky at mine because when I go there I seek out the manager. Only at one of them because she’s been raising chickens and goats and sheep for about 20 years and has given me many bits of advice on my chickens and goats and has never once steered me Wrong. But I don’t usually trust the employees at the other ones not because I think the people are stupid but tractor supply doesn’t take the time to properly train them

I did find a hatchery last year that offered some of the rare breeds as pullets I think it was cackle hatchery. I’d have to go back and look. I never did end up ordering the chickens I saw on there. Just too nervous to do my first mail order
I got my Spitzhaubens this spring at Cackle Hatchery, this breed is sold there as unsexed. We live within driving distance so I picked them up in person, (I am also nervous about mailing.) I pre ordered 4, they gave me 5. Three were cockerels. I sold 2 of the boys at a poultry swap. I wonder what sex the extra chick was. I could have ended up with 3 to 1. If you don't eat them or have a poultry swap or someone who wants them nearby, you will likely be in a dilemma with your extra roosters.

Back
Top Bottom