Pros/cons about ordering a few of each breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NikSmith, Feb 9, 2014.

1. NikSmith

NikSmith Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    So my husband and my dad made my chicken coop last week, so now I can go ahead and order the chicks! (not that I NEEDED the coop done before chicks!)
    My question is:
    Is there anything 'wrong' with ordering a few ameracaunas, wyandottes, silkies, crested polish, etc etc?
    I am going to order about 8 Ameracaunas, 3 Cubalayas, 3 barred rock, 1 silkie, 1 silver laced polish, 1 sultan and possibly a few plymouth rocks. The silkie, sil laced polish and sultan are more 'ornamental' and the rest I would rely on for eggs. Now would this at all be a problem? Especially with the single ones? Like are chickens something that tend to 'group' off in their own breed?
    Any input on this? Thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's fun to try different breeds; go for it!! Please consider your climate and space available, and realize that some breeds tend to be much more active and aggressive than others. The birds will consider themselves one flock as they will be the same age and raised together. Welcome, and enjoy your birds. Mary

3. NikSmith

NikSmith Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    Thank you! I figured that if they are raised together, they shouldn't have any or much aggression to each other!
    The coop is 8x8x8 (hubby is a carpenter so the coop is designed so he wouldn't have to cut a piece of plywood-they come in 8ft pieces, ha!)
    So i'm thinking that should be enough room for about 8 of them. We live out on a ranch so they will be free ranging, and locked up at night. Our summers are HOT but the winters can be cold. (I'm from Canada originally so it's not really cold to me!)
    I'm hoping those chicks (Sultans, silkies, ameracaunas, barred rock, plymouth rock, and the polish one) will do good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by