pross/cons of chickens?

Oh yes, and we got our first chicks at TSC and they turned out to be great chickens that on warm days we get six eggs a day out of them! right now I cant really think of any cons except that their poop stinks and you can have an occasional mean one. we have one girl that will attack this one other chicken as soon as she's in the coop

I have 60 chickens and I love them. For me the time can be a little over whelming taking care of them. But the cost is pretty low they eat about 300 pounds of all purpose poultry/chicken scratch/ oyster shells a month. I mix the 3 and they love it. We get 3 dozen eggs a day. And I take some eggs and sell the rest for 3.00 a dozen. My chickens 100% pay for themselves. My 50 pound bags are about 15.00 also I wish they were as low as 8.00. If you are worried about the money then get like 6 chickens a 50 pound bag will last a long time. It will be the same price as buying eggs at the store, but you will have some new fun pets. I suggest you get Rhode Island Reds, leghorns, Barred Rock, Easter Eggers or true ameraucana's if you have a breeder near you, and Australorps. They are the best layers so you will get your money worth. Hope this info is helpful!

Dear Potential Chicken Parent:

I have a small piece of land and have 19 chickens. I got chickens as a food source (eggs) to survive the coming zombie apocalypse (just kidding). What surprised me more than anything, is what good little pets they are. When they hear me come through the back door they RUN to the fence. At first I thought nothing of this as I'm the food girl, but that's incorrect. I put their food down, they take a peck or two and then follow me around the yard as I do my chores. They really like me. If I sit down they are all over me.

Since my 19 produce far more eggs than I can eat, I have sold many eggs to friends and strangers. Check out what organic goes for in your town and then bump it up a buck. People don't take fresh, free-range eggs seriously unless they pay through the nose for them..LMAO!! When I was selling my eggs it MORE than paid for their feed. And what you save in purchasing eggs will make up for it. Currently, I'm supplying my local food bank with eggs and that makes me feel good.

Get your self 1/2 dozen chicks and I dare you not to fall in love with each and everyone of them. If you have any problems come back to this website. I have solved everyone of my problems easily with the helpful advice from the folks on this website. GOOD LUCK!!!

Mine definitely cost more than I thought but I keep adding things to build and buy. That's my fault. It's my hobby and I enjoy it a lot. Spring and summer is cheaper to feed definitely than winter. I have given them extra this winter for sure. I have right at 25 and they are spoiled (so I'm told).

Go for it! If you don't like it...they aren't hard to get rid of especially laying hens.

There is only one "con" to owning chickens....they die. Sometimes you go out and there is a quiet body lying the straw. Or you work for days trying everything you know to bring them out of it and they die in your arms. Or there is a stupid a accident where you left something out that caused a death.

Everything else is pure joy.

Kathy

a 20 pound bag of starter/grower for the chicks is $8 here but im not sure how long that will last with 6 chicks,I would also be feeding them plenty of scraps as they grow. I think the main cost will be raising the chicks

Normally a chick would consume slightly less than 10 lbs when started laying, details can be googled specifically to the breeds of your birds. Giants may be in the 8-9lb range and bantams 5-6

There are a number of rewards and benefits to keeping a backyard flock of chickens. They do provide you with wonderful, fresh eggs daily. They also give you plenty of fertilizer (manure) which is a rich source for your compost bins. Chickens will eat pests and pick emerging weeds from the lawn.

There are a few cons to owning a backyard flock, as well. First of all, if you plan to allow your chickens on the lawn just be apprised that they will strip all the greenery fairly quickly (unless allowed limited free-range time). Next, sanitation is important to the health and well-being of the flock. Chickens produce a lot of dust from feather preening and waste. It is a personal decision on how often to clean the coop and run area, but if you really want to keep it "pristine" it takes a good deal of time and effort. -requires daily scooping and regular cleaning. Finally, know your breeds and climate. Choose appropriately. Shade and fresh, cool water are crucial in hot climates. In very hot climates, it requires changing water frequently throughout the day to keep it cool (and keep the chickens from experiencing heat stroke).

The cost to raise a flock varies. Consider housing. It can be as elaborate or minimal as desired. Repurposed materials can be utilized at little to no cost for a good coop, or elaborate plans or shed kits can be purchased and customized which requires an investment. Feed is another consideration. The cost varies by the product choice - organic/non-GMO v. conventional. There is a large difference in the price of each.

Research and inform yourself before undertaking raising a backyard flock and make a sound, measured judgment on whether it is right for your climate, lifestyle, and budget.

Pros:
Eggs
Entertainment
Fertilizer

Cons:
Dust
Lots, and lots of chicken poop

For me, everything else is immaterial and life is messy/interesting/challenging anyway.

Back
Top Bottom