protecting existing fence with hot electric wire from raccoon/mink

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
We have raccoon frequenting chicken run at night in search for food scraps (the run doubles as a compost pile). I don't like that proximity of raccoon to chickens (locked in the coop at night, but still) + possibility of decease transmission via food sharing or feces. I recon it is time to spend on fence charger and electric wire.

Our existing regular fence is
* 1' 1/2" hardware cloth skirt
* 2' of 1/2" hardware cloth over 2" welded wire at the bottom
* 3' of 2" welded wire only in the middle
* 4' of 2" chicken wire at the top
The top is crisscrossed with fishing line.

I figure the best way would be to run the hot wire near the top of hardware cloth - i.e. as high as possible from snow/grass but yet still below the lowest insecure area. Also easiest to attach (there is a horizontal wood stripping that connects hardware cloth and welded wire).

The plastic insulators i looked up on amazon would hold the wire may be 1" away from the fence. What would prevent raccoon to just step over that hot wire without touching it when scaling the fence?

Another option would be to run it over the top of the chicken wire part where there would a better of contact, but the tops of the posts are kind of flimsy at 9' and I would be able to get a good wire tension plus of possibility of being tripped by wind or snow plus would offer no protection from mink/squirrels as they would be getting through welded wire fence just above hardware cloth or coons tearing the chicken wire.

Any advice and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Pictures would help too.
You have the right idea; carry it on with multiple strands of hot wire out there! You want insulators that hold the wire more than 1" from grounding too. Look up Premier1supplies.com for ideas, although I don't know if you can order from them in Canada. They do have good products, which you can maybe find up there.
Also, I'd trap and shoot frequent raccoon visitors!
Mary

This is a picture of my set up if it helps. So far nothing has been able to get in, but if a mink looked hard enough I'm sure there are a few gaps here and there it could get into.
The side walls are 1/2" hardware cloth, brought out 18" at the bottom. Top is high quality deer fence (NOT "netting"), and my electric fence is ran by a 1.0 joule/25 mile Zareba charger. It puts out 7500 volts according to my tester.

run is done.jpg

This is a picture of my set up if it helps. So far nothing has been able to get in, but if a mink looked hard enough I'm sure there are a few gaps here and there it could get into.
The side walls are 1/2" hardware cloth, brought out 18" at the bottom. Top is high quality deer fence (NOT "netting"), and my electric fence is ran by a 1.0 joule/25 mile Zareba charger. It puts out 7500 volts according to my tester.
View attachment 1597035
how far are your hot wires from the fence and what was your rationale of putting full blown electric fence posts parallel to the main fence instead of attaching insulators to the existing fence?

I'm guessing here, but multiple posts are cheaper than having many more insulators! The step-in plastic posts are easy to install too, you just need better supporting posts at the corners.
Mary

Pictures would help too.
You have the right idea; carry it on with multiple strands of hot wire out there! You want insulators that hold the wire more than 1" from grounding too. Look up Premier1supplies.com for ideas, although I don't know if you can order from them in Canada. They do have good products, which you can maybe find up there.
found 2.5" and 5" options on amazon. How much distance between the hot wire and the fence would you recommend for raccoon and mink? I recon it needs to be small enough for not be able to squeeze enough without getting a jolt in the head and large enough for not be able to step over without getting a jolt in the belly?
Also, I'd trap and shoot frequent raccoon visitors!
what I've read about predators - you kill some - more and dumber/bolder ones will come. The ones that you able to teach to walk around your property are the asset. Ok, if one figures how to deactivate electric fence, I will resort to shooting/trapping.

Back
Top Bottom