Protecting from hawks?

Thanks so much for the info! I'm sorry I haven't been on :(

But wow a hawk that bold sounds scary!!! What if you had a small dog or cat ir something too you know? He could take it right in front of you!

we have a lot of hawks as well, my chickens have spent more time in the shed this year than others, they do have a few trucks to hide under and a hay wagon, they dash from cover to cover. So you would need to provide more cover, so your chickens will be safer, anything to get under, but last year a hawk tried to take one of my muscovy duck hens, I found the hen dead under a truck with the hawk sitting on it unable to figure out how to get it out from under the truck. For the most part the hawks have left my birds alone because of all the mice this year. Provide them with shrubs, trees or objects to get under or into, and hopefully you have at least one rooster for a lookout.

They're usually a night time or a twilight hunter but its not unheard of for them to hunt earlier so it may be best to provide a run for them. That way you can better control when they come and go, and if you have think you're not going to be there before dark to put them away, they have somewhere safe to be scratch around without being stuck in the coop. Just train them to return with food, otherwise they will push later into the evening before heading back and the predators will find them.
Actually growing up in Oregon...CHICKEN HAWKS do exist. They will take chickens all through the day. We have lost a lot of chickens due to these birds. They are a day hunter.

Redtails are a huge problem where I live and my birds simply have to stay in their covered run (deer netting on the top) unless I am outside and plan on staying outside until they go to roost.

Even being out I have to be on guard they are bold devils and will attack even while I am out. Providing cover helps but is not a guarantee they will not catch a chicken not paying attention.

I have also seen hawks swoop in scatter the chickens all over the property then hop around looking for them. Once found they then try to panic the bird from its hiding spot and then nail it when it tries to escape. I've seen this a couple times, I was wondering what the heck is was doing. I don't let the "adventure" get that far any more.

Redtails are a huge problem where I live and my birds simply have to stay in their covered run (deer netting on the top) unless I am outside and plan on staying outside until they go to roost.

Even being out I have to be on guard they are bold devils and will attack even while I am out. Providing cover helps but is not a guarantee they will not catch a chicken not paying attention.

I have also seen hawks swoop in scatter the chickens all over the property then hop around looking for them. Once found they then try to panic the bird from its hiding spot and then nail it when it tries to escape. I've seen this a couple times, I was wondering what the heck is was doing. I don't let the "adventure" get that far any more.

I am glad someone else doesn't believe in the fiction that hawks swoop in out of the Wild Blue Yonder and kill chickens as humanely as Doctor Kevorkian.

Some folks prefer to keep chickens in a large enclosed and covered run. They only let them free range under supervision. Even then hawks and other predators can be so quiet and fast, you don't see everything that is going on. Sometimes chickens running to hide will pick a narrow section between coop and fence whatever and then are sitting ducks for the predator to pull them out.

Even in residential areas - large cities, Hawks are bolder than brass. They have grabbed dogs on leash with the owner hanging on. They are not afraid of people. Hawks out here sit on a phone pole watching birds at a feeder and just swoop down and grab a snack. I gave up feeders for that reason. I didn't like the carnage outside my window- cardinals, gold finches etc. Coyotes and most other wildlife has quickly adapted to humans - they are often out in full daylight and not rabid or sick.

When you free range you have to figure out how many losses are tolerable - knowing predators seem to pick off your favorites first.

Back
Top Bottom