Protecting my flock! *-WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES-*

Awww, I hate to see any babies suffer, but you did what you had to do. I'm glad the mom died quickly, I hope the babies went fast as well. You didn't know and I don't blame you because things would have gotten worse had all of them survived.

If you manage to kill your raccoons, be careful how you dispose of them. Raccoons can be a rabies reservoir. Luckily there have been very few cases of raccoon (or opossum) rabies in Kansas in the last decade. Another egg predator you need to worry more about is the skunk. Skunks are the main rabies reservoir in your area. Please handle the carcasses with care. Do not expose yourself to the tissue or fluids and bury them where other animals won't dig them up and eat them.

Rabies cases in Kansas [http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/dmp/service/rabies/kansas.htm]

db

Get a powerful tactical flashlight. Something over 100 lumens.

When you have a critter in a tree, the light will reflect from the eyes when it looks at you. Opossums have red eyes. Raccoons have yellow-green eyes.

Also, check out the chicken products link on my BYC page. It points to traps which make it much easier to deal with these types of predators.

yuckyuck.gif

Yea I feel bad about babies too. Something as tiny as some baby meadow voles,but darn if the mom/babies didn't eat all my asparagus. I moved them so I know I just prolonged the problem.Babies in general I feel the urge to move despite knowing in a few months I will be dealing with a pest.

I have yet to deal with predator babies.

you did the right thing the only good possum is a dead possum in my book we have lots of possums too and my cat and 5 dogs don't like the at all and my cat will actually kill possums that are as big as he is and my boxer and 3 doxie's tree'd a big buck possum and my hubby shot him we'd been after him for a while. haven't seen many coons around yet but i'm sure once we get the coop built we'll be seeing them.

Wonderful. Give Dallas a hug from KY for me please. He is an awsome boy, I would say a fawn bluie APBT. Love the dog love the breed. I too would have given the chickens the babies to make sure they did not dig out of the hole and live to kill more of my chickens. (OK I never said I was altogether logical. I don't like 'Possoms.)

Back
Top Bottom