Protecting neighbor's chickens from my indoor/outdoor house cat

CedarSky

Hatching
Aug 24, 2019
I am trying to figure out how to protect my neighbor's 3 chickens from my 12-month-old indoor/outdoor house cat. I would appreciate any potential suggestions/options/solutions. Currently, I have a color on her that makes noise and that I can track her. I am keeping her indoors 8am-8pm so the chickens can roam free during this time and then letting my cat out 8pm-8am. But this doesn't feel like the best solution. I'm considering fencing options such as buying and helping install barb wire fence or pigeon fencing. Of course, wanting a solution that doesn't cause harm to my cat or his chickens.

that outta be interesting, does she like to hunt? best thing to do on your part would be make sure she is well fed before letting her out, the collar will at least alert them if she does try to hunt as long as she doesn't get it off. the rest will also be up to your neighbor to have made his coop and run secure

Build her a catio? That cat trainer on tv does that all the time (Jackson something, the “cat whisperer”).
Or tie her?
Not sure why most cat people (not you) are always so opposed to that - if you saw a dog tied in a yard you wouldn’t blink but when someone has a cat tied folks scream animal abuse

I vote a cat enclosure too.

Personally I see many benefits of a catio.

As a chicken keeper and gardener I don't want random cats hunting my birds or using my gardens as litter boxes.
I trap and transport to the pound.

A catio will keep your cat safe, wildlife safe, gardens safe, chickens safe, accidental pregnancy prevented, and peace in the hood.

Last edited:
Are you sure you need to do anything at all? I've never had trouble with either domestic cats or feral cats bothering/chasing/killing/harming chickens. My cat, that is a murderess of all things that creep, slither, skitter, flutter, fly, etc. has never once bothered my chickens. In fact, she seems if not somewhat intimidated by, at least respectful of them.

I wouldn't trust her around chicks, of course, but even a half grown LF breed is more than she wants to mess with.

Are you sure you need to do anything at all? I've never had trouble with either domestic cats or feral cats bothering/chasing/killing/harming chickens. My cat, that is a murderess of all things that creep, slither, skitter, flutter, fly, etc. has never once bothered my chickens. In fact, she seems if not somewhat intimidated by, at least respectful of them.

I wouldn't trust her around chicks, of course, but even a half grown LF breed is more than she wants to mess with.

X2 our two indoor/outdoor cats are terrified of the chickens. They'd never admit it of course.

Welcome! Most cats won't attack large chickens, but are fine going for chicks.
Both legally and ethically, it's your job to keep your cat on your property, and the chicken owner to keep their birds off yours.
It's possible to Invisible Fence' cats, by the way!
And having a 'catio' is certainly safer for your kitty.
Mary

Welcome! Most cats won't attack large chickens, but are fine going for chicks.
Both legally and ethically, it's your job to keep your cat on your property, and the chicken owner to keep their birds off yours.
It's possible to Invisible Fence' cats, by the way!
And having a 'catio' is certainly safer for your kitty.
Mary
I've never heard of invisible fencing a cat. Have you done this? Does it really work? It seems like a fantastic idea.

Back
Top Bottom