Protecting Pasture Chickens from Coyotes, Owls and Hawks

DuckMama9

Songster
Aug 8, 2019
Lubbock, Texas
I just started a new job at a local pasture raised chicken farm. Our mission at Alcove Farms is to sow, grow, and restore. We pasture raise cattle and about 3,000 organically fed laying hens on 160 acres. We sell our eggs at the local grocery stores and farmer’s markets. We have been having issues with predator attacks from coyotes and hawks mostly and occasionally an owl attack. We keep two great pyranees flock guardian dogs out in the field with the hens and it seems that sometimes they run off the predators but we still have had some losses due to these predators. Coyotes are getting in by digging under the perimeter fence. Our farm is 160 acres of flat, open pasture neighboring flat open fields of cotton. We use four large mobile coops, although the not all the hens opt to roost in the coops at night...several hundred just hang out outside at night. Any suggestions to stop these predator attacks?

You are having similar problems I had. Your dogs are likely too spread out or cannot cover the whole area. I had to increase number of dogs. We also have roosters that do work on hawks from cover. The cover approach I use would likely not be effective in a commercial setting.

At home my dogs have been setup so they can go through / over fencing. Dogs easy to beat when predator can use fencing against dogs. My dogs also more adaptable to training than LGD's so maybe consider a more biddable breed with higher prey drive to push area dogs can cover.

Could you provide a Google Earth image of property with paddocks shown?

The best defense against coyotes (along with the dogs) is electric fencing.
As for raptors, the best defense I've found are some good agile roosters. Do you have any roosters there and if so, what breeds?

If rooster approach used, then something really big like Jersey Giant or Siapans would be my first choice. Potential problem with roosters is with mine (game roosters) which can be really good only operate in social groups involving harems and the roosters only do a good job from About now through roughly August. When in molt, my roosters are more concerned with self preservation.

Would be curious to see pictures of the mobile coops.

Who is doing the most damage? Coyotes or Hawks?

If this is a permanent setup......an effective electric fence around the perimeter is doable to keep the coyotes at arm's length, and that can be supplemented by an aggressive trapping program to thin the herd so to speak.

Hawks are a different issue.....but photos of the coops and area would help.

How often are the coops moved and how far when you do?

With that much space if i were you i would add a donkey or 2, and some guineas. The guineas will be your best lookouts for hawks and owls and sound the alarm . You will not find any critter better at sighting them. My dogs take heed and imediately go investigate when the guineas sound alarm.
Donkeys burros and mules HATE coyotes and will kill them if given a chance. The only problem with them is they may also hate your dogs.
Some people add geese as chicken guards.

With that much space if i were you i would add a donkey or 2, and some guineas. The guineas will be your best lookouts for hawks and owls and sound the alarm . You will not find any critter better at sighting them. My dogs take heed and imediately go investigate when the guineas sound alarm.
Donkeys burros and mules HATE coyotes and will kill them if given a chance. The only problem with them is they may also hate your dogs.
Some people add geese as chicken guards.
Donkeys and mules do hate coyotes. I saw my neighbors mule and donkey chasing a coyote down once. Unfortunately they also hate dogs also and will do the same.

Are the coops locked up at night? If not a racoon will be your next problem.
Chickens that stay outside at night are an owls buffet.
Are the coops locked up at night? If not a racoon will be your next problem.
Chickens that stay outside at night are an owls buffet.
The coops are locked up at night via automatic coop door, but the problem is that some of the chickens don’t return to their coops at night and instead spend the night outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom