Protein Content Explanation Please...

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
I thought that with chicks you want around 20%+/- protein, grower 18%+/- protein, then layer 15-16%+/- protein... Lower as they grow.
Is this correct? If so, I do not understand the protein content in some of the Blue Seal Feeds shown in chart below...?
They show the Starter/Grower at 22%, and the Grower-Cal at 15%
Can someone please clarify this to a noob such as myself?
Thanks,
Steve
50610_bluesealfeeds.jpg

This might help.

Oregon State - Feeding Chickens
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw477/#anchor1132074

The chicks need the kick start of a higher protein during the first six weeks or so. After that, though, they need to slow down and give their internal organs time to mature as their body grows. If they grow too fast it can cause them some problems later on. Think of it somewhat like childhood obesity. Then when they get to laying age, they produce an egg that is maybe 2% to 3% of their body weight, so they need more daily protein. This is for chicks that are to develop into layers. If they are going to be meat birds, you feed a higher protein because you are not worried about internal organ development and you want them to grow fast.

Why then does the Starter/Grower food in the chart above show 22% if it is to be used through the growing stage?
Is it geared more toward Meat birds than Layers?

That is probably true - it is a "meat builder" grower.

For us chicken keepers in the north especially, long days "push" spring hatched pullets to maturity. Combine that with a very high-protein diet and we are cautioned that pullets may mature too quickly.

For our BYChickens, a higher protein diet is probably moderated by lawn grass, other greens and healthy, low-protein veggies from the garden.

We shouldn't really be in a great hurry to get our pullets to lay. The result may be smaller layers, smaller eggs, and maybe a shorter productive life.

another Steve at 45+°, north latitude

I'm in no rush - I want healthy, happy birds. I plan on switching to something in the 16% protein range for the next stage of around 7 weeks till laying...
Thanks Steve,
Steve

I think that you will find that a lot of people that breed and show poultry will use a 20% protein feed for all there birds.
Most will use a Game bird feed to all there birds instead of a poultry feed and most Game Bird feed runs around 18 to 28 present protein.

I feed a 22% protein that I feed to all my birds and it doesn't matter if I hatch eggs in January or April it will still take a full year full year before my birds start to lay so I cant say that the higher protein feed is going to make your birds mature any faster... Myself and others believe that the extra protein in there feed will help with over all size, feather quality, and a over all better bird for showing.

Chris

digitS' :

Quote:
Full year!

What are you doing to those birds, Chris? Keeping them in long dresses and off the phone?

Steve

Shouldn't be more like 20 weeks +/-?​

digitS' :

Quote:
Full year!

What are you doing to those birds, Chris? Keeping them in long dresses and off the phone?

Steve

LOL,
It seems like it at times.. It is the line of R.I. Red's I have they are slow to mature and get very large framed. The roosters don't start crowing till around 10 months..
Two other people I know have the same line and theirs are the same way....

Chris​

I used the grower cal,that is meant more for chicks rather than the chickn'game feed. That is meant more for the game birds. I have nothing but good things to say about Blue Seal, excellent feed in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom