Protein for chickens with severe feather loss?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have started volunteering at a farm that is near me, and they recently acquired some chickens that were over crowded and have very severe feather loss. There are seven, and they are in similar condition to this:
1605366781124.png

(not my pic, i couldn't get one)
The worst of them are a GL wyandotte and a buff brahma.
I am allowed to bring them treats and am planning to bring them a mix of scrambled egg, mealworms, and dry cat food tomorrow. Is this a good mix idea? Will it actually help?

Dry cat food is very high in protein, about 32%, which is too high and rough on kidneys. Chicken feed is usually 16-20%, so I would use a higher protein feed such as Flock Raiser. Scramble egg, tuna, canned cat food, mealworms, and sunflower seed in moderation are good sources. Hen saddles which can be made by cutting some polar fleece to fit over wings might help to keep them warm as feathers grow in. Here is an example:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

I did not know that about the dry cat food being to much even as an occasional treat.

I myself use canned mackerel for a protein boost for the hens.

I have 2 backyard birds separate from my main chicken flock who come to the back and front door who beg for dry cat food. I made the mistake of giving some to them once, and they drive me crazy. It is not good for them, and could cause gout or kidney problems. But I indulge them, and then balance it with their chicken feed and a little treat of scratch grains (also not very good.) These two are old and pets, so I give them what they want. I just wanted to point out that feeding over 30% protein is harmful.

Dry cat food is very high in protein, about 32%, which is too high and rough on kidneys. Chicken feed is usually 16-20%, so I would use a higher protein feed such as Flock Raiser. Scramble egg, tuna, canned cat food, mealworms, and sunflower seed in moderation are good sources. Hen saddles which can be made by cutting some polar fleece to fit over wings might help to keep them warm as feathers grow in. Here is an example:

I'll avoid the cat food, then. I don't have any flock raiser but my friends may have some. I'm not sure if I"m allowed to make them saddles.

The chicken guy at the farm told me that they were using blu-kote on their butts for a while because they were very red and the other chickens were pecking at them. They've since stopped using it because it hasn't been an issue.

That’s what I was thinking was switching to grower for a while, but thanks for the oyster shell idea, I’m gonna try that too!
The oyster shell doesn't do anything about protein, but it's good when you put laying hens on non layer food to make sure that hens are getting enough calcium to make healthy egg shells.

It NEVER hurts to check for mites. I had a glaringly obvious infestation in my coop (it was sO gross) but I didn't notice because I wasn't looking for it. I could have prevented it getting half as bad if I had checked.

Did they rescue these chickens from overcrowding? Or do they not care, and only have them because they needed more chickens?
At the farm, the chickens have plenty of space and are part of a great flock. It's 7 of 21 chickens with no rooster. The farm is managed by my school, and a school family had to get rid of their chickens because they have to move. The family was over crowding the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom