Protein Levels for Pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by mrwoodboat, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    So, in my continued education about my pheasants, I am reading and getting some conflicting information regarding what the protein level should be in my birds diet.

I have read in several places where pheasants need a higher protein than fowl. But I have been told by several aviculturist that what I am feeding is too high in protein.

What I am currently feeding is a 28% protein gamebird pellet, and some 19% 5 grain feed (it has fish pellets in it to up protein level).
    We offer fresh veggies and some fruit in addition to their feed.

I have been told that the high protein will lead to feather and wing issues- honestly IDK- I had good hatches this past season and very very low mortality in the chicks so.....

2. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I don't know where those so called scientist get their information from but it sounds like your on the right track. I have fed all my birds, chickens, ducks, pheasants, chukars, turkeys and quail Purena Game Bird Startina (28%) protein as long as I have been raising birds, about 18 years. And I have always had excellent results in laying, hatching, chick development and coloring. I stay with Startina all the way thru their life cycle. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by