Proud Farmer moment!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
I've reduced our flock down to just Black/Blue Silver Marans and Bresse, so that I could use the pen space to breed those better. I'll be splitting each breed into 3 groups for next season.

The last time we processed I had a first, a Marans the same weight as a Bresse! With age it can happen, but these were 16 weeks old. It took SO long to improve the Marans growth rate to get them anywhere close to useful at 16 weeks!

They're totally different shapes, the Marans is carrying the weight more in the thigh and the Bresse is carrying more in the breast.

When they say "Build the barn first" in relation to poultry breeding, they're talking about the structure and type. The meat needs a good place to lay, a frame to support it. Without it and the development won't be as desired.

Width/length/depth matter a lot. I see so many birds out there that aren't being bred towards their dual purpose intention for the breed and then it's no surprise that people complain about how little they are or how long it took them to grow.

After working on this dual purpose thing for the past 4 years, it's become apparent that it's breeding more than feeding. I've been experimenting with the feed/finishing too but the breeding seems to matter more.

proco1.jpg

I've reduced our flock down to just Black/Blue Silver Marans and Bresse, so that I could use the pen space to breed those better. I'll be splitting each breed into 3 groups for next season.

The last time we processed I had a first, a Marans the same weight as a Bresse! With age it can happen, but these were 16 weeks old. It took SO long to improve the Marans growth rate to get them anywhere close to useful at 16 weeks!

They're totally different shapes, the Marans is carrying the weight more in the thigh and the Bresse is carrying more in the breast.

When they say "Build the barn first" in relation to poultry breeding, they're talking about the structure and type. The meat needs a good place to lay, a frame to support it. Without it and the development won't be as desired.

Width/length/depth matter a lot. I see so many birds out there that aren't being bred towards their dual purpose intention for the breed and then it's no surprise that people complain about how little they are or how long it took them to grow.

After working on this dual purpose thing for the past 4 years, it's become apparent that it's breeding more than feeding. I've been experimenting with the feed/finishing too but the breeding seems to matter more.

View attachment 2334560
Good Job!!

View attachment 2334560
Nice! Those are some quality looking 16 week olds!
I'm only in the beginning stages, but am starting to play around with an eye towards similar results around the same ages.
My next question though, is do you find a difference in taste, as the Bress is known for? (I've not had Bresse before)

My next question though, is do you find a difference in taste, as the Bress is known for? (I've not had Bresse before)

The Bresse have a thinner skin, more mild dark meat on the thighs, fat marbling where they can get fat more evenly dispersed over the body and not globby, the breast meat is the "short fiber" type and not the longer strand type of texture.

Chicken tastes like chicken, the differences are more in the texture and the flavoring of the dark meat and how rich it is, plus the differences in how much meat is where and the skin type.

Marans have a thicker, more yellow skin (though still white), richer dark meat and the breast meat is the longer fiber type. They seem to have a similar fat composition as well though no one seems to be touting about it. They're more known for their dark brown egg color and not too many are breeding towards the dual purpose type, in favor of that egg color.

I like the contrast between the two types, for the table and their eggs. My husband is a big fan of the dark meat.

basiceggs.jpg

The Bresse have a thinner skin, more mild dark meat on the thighs, fat marbling where they can get fat more evenly dispersed over the body and not globby, the breast meat is the "short fiber" type and not the longer strand type of texture.

Chicken tastes like chicken, the differences are more in the texture and the flavoring of the dark meat and how rich it is, plus the differences in how much meat is where and the skin type.

Marans have a thicker, more yellow skin (though still white), richer dark meat and the breast meat is the longer fiber type. They seem to have a similar fat composition as well though no one seems to be touting about it. They're more known for their dark brown egg color and not too many are breeding towards the dual purpose type, in favor of that egg color.

I like the contrast between the two types, for the table and their eggs. My husband is a big fan of the dark meat.

View attachment 2335015
Beautiful eggs!!

View attachment 2335015
Thank you! That explains it very well. I've raised CX, Red Rangers, and a variety of "dual" purpose breeds. I have read that a good Maran (not hatchery stock) will have a more square broad body. When I had them my purpose was for eggs and I was doing CX separately so never really looked at them for meat.
Bresse I've only recently learned a little about.

I used to raise Bourbon Red turkeys on my last farm and the difference between them, a farm raised Broad Breasted type, and a store bought/commercial BB type turkey were huge! Both in texture and depth of flavor!

Back
Top Bottom