proud mom! (autistic son) pic added page 3

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
My son was diagnosed at 2 yo with autism. He was first sent to child development services by his pediatrician when he was 6mo, he had hypotonia (low muscle tone) and was followed closely after that. He had the classic language at 1 year and lost it all. He always had good eye contact and needed to be held tightly (sensory calming for him) so it is nice to be able to hold him. He is now 3 and can say mom and dad, as well as a few family members. Language is very difficult for him.
Today his big sister (5) was getting ready for kindergarten and after she got dressed she came into the room where my son and I were. He looked at her and said cute shirt (very broken), but said it none the less! Just for him to express something on his own is such an accomplishment! This was not repeated(from someone else saying it) and I have no idea where it came from but I asked him if he liked his sisters shirt (because he said it 3 times and was waiting for me to confirm I understood him) and he said uh-huh. I was nearly in tears, I so love his therapist, she is such a wonderful woman and has brought him so far
love.gif
sorry, I just have to brag
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Isnt it interesting how words or things that are seemingly normal for "regular"kids are a big deal for us special needs parents? I remember how psyched i was when my back then five year old son was finally potty trained. And right now he has his first loose teeth!!!

I called his therapist and I could hear how happy she was over the phone. She sees him 5x a week for 3 hours a day. Did I say I love this woman
big_smile.png
(so does dh, and that's an accomplishment)

Quote:
yes, potty training is such an accomplishment
ya.gif
he gets the concept, just can't apply it yet, any progress is good progress
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
yes, potty training is such an accomplishment
ya.gif
he gets the concept, just can't apply it yet, any progress is good progress
thumbsup.gif

I ran out of training pants one day was really stressed , bust and snowed in . I told him "you know what , put on real underwear and go potty or pee your pants" It worked. It wasnt the best or nicest method maybe. But it worked for him.

It's the little things our special kids do that make everything ok some days........

I think Faith was around 6 before she was completely potty trained. So, I know some of your frustration. I really had a hard time finding pull ups to fit her bottom without one cheek hanging out.

Thank goodness we got through that! It will come sooner than you think. God gives us these kids because we need to learn a special lesson from them.

Congrats on your special moment.

pips&peeps :

It's the little things our special kids do that make everything ok some days........

I think Faith was around 6 before she was completely potty trained. So, I know some of your frustration. I really had a hard time finding pull ups to fit her bottom without one cheek hanging out.

Thank goodness we got through that! It will come sooner than you think. God gives us these kids because we need to learn a special lesson from them.

Congrats on your special moment.

Mine are rather petite and he only wore size 3 or 4. But having older sister that was potty trained at 2 and relatives that dont understand can give you a hard times.

Collin Farrell whos son has Angelman summed it up pretty good
"The only time I'm reminded that there is something different about him – that he has some deviation of what is perceived to be normal – is when I see him with other 4-year-olds. Then I go, 'Oh yeah,' and it comes back to me," Farrell tells the Irish Independent. "But from day one I felt that he's the way he's meant to be."​

Awesome. My son who is mildly mentally impared and has adhd was just switched to a new adhd med and his improved speech is wonderful. Its just great to hear those new words come out of now where. How great for all of you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom