Proud new chicken momma!

All but 4 were hatched in my classroom. I have several buff brahmas, 3 silkie crosses, and one each of: blue Andalusian, buff Orpington, white Cochin, Rhode Island Red, White leghorn, barred rock, welsummer, speckled Sussex, Easter Egger, German giant, calico princess...I think that’s it;-)
That's an amazing variety! Beautiful!

I am keeping one. The others I will probably give away.
I would hold off rehoming any of them for a while. Their personalities will change a lot over the next few months and you don't want to accidentally give away your best one. You could even try separating the boys to their own flock after hormones start kicking in, until you decide who to keep.

These links have some great info on roosters:

Selecting Good Flock Roosters

Rooster Flocks

How to Raise a Good Rooster

Keeping A Rooster (entertaining story)

Hello fellow chicken lovers! I am a 39 year old mother of 2 teenagers and a new flock of 27 chickens. Aside from my chickening hobby, I am a pre-K teacher in my local school district. I have been using this site for my pre-hatching info, as well as for all my chicken questions for some time now, and am proud to finally be a member!
Hello fellow chicken lovers! I am a 39 year old mother of 2 teenagers and a new flock of 27 chickens. Aside from my chickening hobby, I am a pre-K teacher in my local school district. I have been using this site for my pre-hatching info, as well as for all my chicken questions for some time now, and am proud to finally be a member!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom