Proverbs of the Day

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
I recently discovered a book in my house with an alphabetical, categorised list of proverbs. I thought it was pretty cool.
I'll post one here each day, feel free to add your own but can I ask that you don't write yours in bold, as I want to be able to easily see which ones are mine. Thanks!

1. He has never made a friend who has not made a foe. (I like that one better anyway
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
This is not about religion in any way. I like to keep religion separate from everything else here.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Erm, I don't think they are supposed to be from the Bible HCCLK.
tongue.png
I think a Proverb is some sort of, inspirational sort of thing....I dunno.
tongue.png

It's got some VERY untrue ones in there which you'd laugh at if I posted.
gig.gif

I think the meaning of the original proverb was those that try hard to be someone they're not, just so they can be popular, are never going to have any true friends, I guess
idunno.gif

Gotta say, I do enjoy Proverbs (primarily started with the bible though haha.) However, there are other sources as well that I feel offer good insight, even poetry does if examined closely. Two quotes of one of my favorite poets come to mind.

"Trust not yourself, but your defects to know, make use of every friend and every foe. " - Alexander Pope

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. " - Alexander Pope

"A person who is too nice an observer of the business of the crowd, like one who is too curious in observing the labor of bees, will often be stung for his curiosity. " - Alexander Pope (thought about adding this one too.)

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Reminds me of one of the simplest, "Mind no business but your own" that was in the book.
lol.png

Oh, I see where you're getting the Bible reference from now. I was a bit slow to catch on.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom