PSA: red wire heating element in Lil Giant and 2020 Nurture Right 360 out-gassing latex?

Oh my, with your allergy being that bad I think making your own might be the safest bet.
Ordered this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-12V-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Will be testing it.

Yeah, even latex medical equipment causes an immediate rash. Latex gloves crack my hands if used when washing dishes. It's almost as bad as poison oak. Memory foam pillows, mattresses and Tire stores are the worst. The thing is latex is in many forms and the medical community looks at it as an aberrant immune response to a "harmless substance". As if humans and animals should be OK ingesting latex as it's harmless. Birds have a similar reaction to these things. Teflon is also touted as harmless except we've all heard about pet birds dying from "Teflon" gasses (particle expulsion) from cooking utensils and ovens. Cigarettes were even "healthy" in advertisements during the 50s... "4 out of 5 Doctors recommend Marlboro".

Ordered this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-12V-Constant-Temperature-PTC-Fan-Car-Electric-Heater-Small-Space-Heating/264542565870?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Will be testing it.

Yeah, even latex medical equipment causes an immediate rash. Latex gloves crack my hands if used when washing dishes. It's almost as bad as poison oak. Memory foam pillows, mattresses and Tire stores are the worst. The thing is latex is in many forms and the medical community looks at it as an aberrant immune response to a "harmless substance". As if humans and animals should be OK ingesting latex as it's harmless. Birds have a similar reaction to these things. Teflon is also touted as harmless except we've all heard about pet birds dying from "Teflon" gasses (particle expulsion) from cooking utensils and ovens. Cigarettes were even "healthy" in advertisements during the 50s... "4 out of 5 Doctors recommend Marlboro".

Yeah, I do my best to reduce our exposure to chemicals but it seems inevitable because it's everywhere. I hope this works for you! Good luck!

article on latex https://blog.onespotallergy.com/2011/02/allergic-to-latex-foods-and-products-to-avoid/

""Allergic To Latex? Foods And Products To Avoid
Published by One Spot Allergy on February 21, 2011 | 4 Responses
Recently, I wanted to learn about latex allergy, so I turned to my incredible community of well informed people in my Facebook allergy group. This is what I learned from them, led by Krystal Ahern of the Latex Allergy Awareness Site.
Latex is the milky fluid derived from rubber trees, which is used to make latex products. The same protein is contained in certain foods, which causes cross-reactions in some people who have a latex allergy. Cross-reactive foods are tricky – You may be fine with a food one day, but react when you eat it the next time. Waiting days to repeat the same food seems to help reduce reactions, and it allows any symptoms to show themselves clearly. Here is a list of cross-reactive foods for people allergic to latex:
Latex cross reactive foods:
Banana
Kiwi
Papaya
Grape
Avocado
Watermelon
Tomato
Potato
Celery
Chestnut
You may also consider testing:
Spinach
Broccoli
Apples
Squash family, pumpkin
Legumes, beans
Spices, mint, cinnamon
Mango
I just found this information explaining the cross-reaction between latex and some foods: “Like bananas and chestnuts, avocados contain enzymes called chitinases that are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome. There is strong evidence of the cross-reaction between latex and foods that naturally contain high amounts of chitinase enzymes. If you have a latex allergy, you may very likely be allergic to these foods as well. Processing the fruit with ethylene gas increases these enzymes; organic produce not treated with gas will have fewer allergy-causing compounds.”
Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5#nutritionalprofileAccessed 18 May 2011
I was surprised to learn that Kraft food handles all their food with latex gloves in the factory, which can deposit hidden latex on the food. More information on cross-reactivity of latex and food can be found here on the American Latex Allergy Association site.
I knew that disposable gloves often contain latex as do balloons, which are a huge threat when they pop and the powder inside them becomes airborne, but I didn’t realize how many everyday items have latex in them. Items that often contain latex are:
Disposable or dishwashing glovesBalloons
ToysCuffs and waistbands on clothing, underwear, bras
CarpetingFreezer bags
Cling wrapWater bottles
ShoesSocks
Chewing gumToothpaste, toothbrushes
Baby bottle nipples, pacifiersDisposable diapers
Sanitary padsRubber bands
Erasers, pens, school suppliesCondoms & diaphragms
Swim gogglesRacquet handles
Bike & motorcycle hand gripsMedical supplies: blood pressure cuffs, stethoscopes, intravenous tubing, syringes, vial stoppers, electrode pads, surgical masks
VaccinesBandages
Dental damsStickers
Postage stampsComputer mouse pads
The American Latex Allergy Association maintains a list of latex-free suppliers of medical products and household products. For school supplies, DiscountSchoolSupplies.com has over 300 products marked “latex free”."

There is normally a transparent plastic sheet stapled to the end of the temperature probe.
I have no idea of the intended purpose of it whether it is ment to protect the probe or assist in keeping it in position the manual doesn't specify the reason.
20200226_102650.jpg

Three thermometers, all confirmed 99.5 F.
Interesting... I ran many tests. The Thermostat was working. The rubberized wire might have been a different formulation than what was originally spec'd out by the engineers. I called Little Giant and they ran through tests with me then advised I send it back to them.
What plastic sheet?

If you're stuck with an LG that sheet has got to go.
It was sent back to the manufacturer. What sheet are you speaking of?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I dunno if mine has that problem. I am not allergic to latex or anything really (that I know of). I don’t smell anything while the incubator is closed and when I do open it there’s a very mild smell but not a toxic-smelling scent if that makes sense. Here’s a pic of the inside of my incubator.
8C5758ED-FE5F-4354-BDD7-B609943FCB17.jpeg

Edited to add: I bought this incubator July-August of 2019 from Tractor Supply. It is a Little Giant still air incubator, not sure on specifics.

Last edited:
I dunno if mine has that problem. I am not allergic to latex or anything really (that I know of). I don’t smell anything while the incubator is closed and when I do open it there’s a very mild smell but not a toxic-smelling scent if that makes sense. Here’s a pic of the inside of my incubator.
View attachment 2036133

Edited to add: I bought this incubator July-August of 2019 from Tractor Supply. It is a Little Giant still air incubator, not sure on specifics.
What you are showing in the picture is the one I had, same sensor, and Red Wire Heating element. Yours says it was made 10/16/18. Mine was November 2018. Three thermometers confirmed temperature was at 99.5 including a Govee that records the temperature/humidity history to your cell phone. The eggs were in that incubator for one day. The plastic gas was concentrated inside the closed incubator. It still outgassed from the Red heating element wires and stunk up the whole house upon opening the incubator. The eggs were removed from that incubator and placed in a "light bulb" non-stinking incubator. The entire batch of eggs did not even start developing. They were gassed.

Ok, I cut the red wire heating element out of the Nutra Right 2020 and soldered two 8 watt light bulbs in series to provide a heat source. IT WORKS! :thumbsup Will post pictures tomorrow after I run a few more tests.

Reported by customer to Underwriter's Laboratories:
UL safety regulations, certificate Number is E230488 for RED HEATING WIRE.

Out gasses latex or teflon plasticizers. Found on Little Giant 9300, Nuture Right 360 (2020), (other manufacturers Brinsea, Farm innovators, GQF, Kebbonix) egg hatching incubators. Little Giant killed 10 fertile chicken eggs with gas from Red heating wire at 99.5 F (Operating temperature verified with glass thermometer) after 3 days. Gas emitted upon opening incubator after 3 days of use, gas oder/particles throughout house. Could harm parrots in house. Symptoms in humans are: coughing, redness, rash on contact with gas. Can cause immediate caustic irritation to eye, sinus, lungs to latex/teflon allergic individuals. Reported this to the manufacturer Little Giant, Nuture Right 360. Returned Little Giant to manufacturer as defective. Nuture Right 360 was also tested and found same gas problem at operating temperature. Reported to manufacturer. Pulled RED WIRE from NR360 and replaced with two 8 watt light bulbs...works fine NO gassing. Will be returning to NR360 to Tractor Supply.

Ok, I cut the red wire heating element out of the Nutra Right 2020 and soldered two 8 watt light bulbs in series to provide a heat source. IT WORKS! :thumbsup Will post pictures tomorrow after I run a few more tests.

I just bought two of these Kebbonixs incubators and have 24 eggs in them right now. I am pretty sensitive to smells but, I haven't noticed anything so, hopefully the company has resolved the issue you wrote about? I haven't opened my incubators since I put the eggs in. This is Day 4. I'm not sure when I should try to candle them first or even what I'm looking for yet. This is my first hatching experience. I haven't double checked the temperature with additional thermometers but it seems to be holding temp. The humidity seems to fluctuate quite a bit between 45-55%, which is the range it says is ideal. I live in an old drafty house though-- not well insulated-- so that probably makes a difference. The incubator is in a room which is next to the kitchen/laundry room. I have noticed that doing the dishes or running the dryer does make the humidity go up. I have to lower the thermostat on the AC when I do that to keep it under 55%.

5C170C34-4B76-4D01-B238-1D0CDD39CE52.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom