Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Pics
'huddle box'... interesting.. any pics?

The 15 chicks we received yesterday are doing great in their Rubbermaid tote with a 'cave-style' MHP. They are in a spare bedroom, with a temp around 70 and the heatpad on 70. I imagine that within the next week they will outgrow their current space and I plan to move them into a 6'x3' brooder in an unheated garage. I'm thinking that I will do something like what you have built or possibly the other design that I saw floating around with wood/foam sides and holes that take dowels to use as support for the rack/pad. The daytime temps will likely be 50-70's, night-time 40-50's. I'm a bit nervous about the transition between the inside and the unheated garage, since the MHP can't get any warmer than it already is. Any advice on this?

PS love the nailed-in bottlecaps to secure the rack...

'huddle box'... interesting.. any pics?

The 15 chicks we received yesterday are doing great in their Rubbermaid tote with a 'cave-style' MHP. They are in a spare bedroom, with a temp around 70 and the heatpad on 70. I imagine that within the next week they will outgrow their current space and I plan to move them into a 6'x3' brooder in an unheated garage. I'm thinking that I will do something like what you have built or possibly the other design that I saw floating around with wood/foam sides and holes that take dowels to use as support for the rack/pad. The daytime temps will likely be 50-70's, night-time 40-50's. I'm a bit nervous about the transition between the inside and the unheated garage, since the MHP can't get any warmer than it already is. Any advice on this?

PS love the nailed-in bottlecaps to secure the rack...
To transition heated chicks to a colder ambient temp (room in house to garage),
reduce the temperature in the room the brooder is in over a few days before moving them.
Close down rooms heat registers, crack open a window.
They'll still need the MHP in the garage at one week.

The huddle box is for when chicks are older, and off heat altogether, when moved from inside to outside.
So different situation than you have there.

Here's a huddle box inside a crate with 'creep opening' for integrating different aged chicks.

Love this thread! Couple questions:

If I were to build one of these with the "Sunbeam 2013-912 Xpress Heat Microplush Heating Pad for Quick Pain Relief, Extra Large (12" x 24"),Olive", how many chicks would this work for? I have 28 viable eggs due to hatch in a week, and I would prefer not to use a heat lamp or buying a Premier/Brinsea.

Also, a few people mentioned having issues with chicks going under this, do I need to have a heat lamp as a back up?

I love using a heating pad. The attached pic is missing their little cardboard box that sets on the pad and traps the heat for them. The pad is only about 85 degrees on the surface and they are staying warm enough. also the room temp is 65-70 degrees. This is my 3rd set of chicks like this and I love it.

Love this thread! Couple questions:

If I were to build one of these with the "Sunbeam 2013-912 Xpress Heat Microplush Heating Pad for Quick Pain Relief, Extra Large (12" x 24"),Olive", how many chicks would this work for? I have 28 viable eggs due to hatch in a week, and I would prefer not to use a heat lamp or buying a Premier/Brinsea.

Also, a few people mentioned having issues with chicks going under this, do I need to have a heat lamp as a back up?
I had 16 under it out in the coop, they barely fit under there by 4 weeks... but heat was way down by then and they were mostly feathered so I removed it.
For 28 chicks I'd either make a rack 12 x 48 with 2 pads or use a heat lamp.

They do take a little 'training', just push them under and hold them there for a few seconds, once they 'feel the heat' they will stay put.
Might take a few tries before they 'get it' but I've never really had any trouble.
I often use a heat lamp the first day or two (only during the day) just to get a good look at them, make sure they are moving around ok before training to use pad for heat.

I love using a heating pad. The attached pic is missing their little cardboard box that sets on the pad and traps the heat for them. The pad is only about 85 degrees on the surface and they are staying warm enough. also the room temp is 65-70 degrees. This is my 3rd set of chicks like this and I love it.
@yochickiemomma Not quite the same thing..but I have seen this technique.
You should start a new thread about 'Using a heating pad on the floor for chicks'.
Write up all the details and more pics, people would find it interesting.

Last edited:
Angie my pad is only 12"X12" and I have 4 silkie and silkie/cochin mix on it. I don't like to crowd but I would try two of the size u mentioned. If u show them and some of them understand where the heat is the rest should follow.

Back
Top Bottom