Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

It seems to be working just fine as is...don't think any reflection is needed to increase the heat generated.

I'm actually concerned about being able to reduce the heat to harden them off for outside sooner rather than later.
Hoping that changing out the feet for long carriage bolts will get it high enough to lower the temp available to chicks, might have to restrict their access to the top.
Tho maybe that's not a concern with a plate instead of a lamp?

Don't you have different settings on your pad control? Just turn it down to the next setting as you go along.

It's on the lowest of Lo-Med-Hi.

Gotcha. You have one of those pads....that's like my old one and why I couldn't use it to incubate these eggs..no range on the temps. You can always place a piece of felt or two between the pad and the chicks. You can get them in the craft section of Walmart and it should help diminish the heat a bit.

Gotcha. You have one of those pads....that's like my old one and why I couldn't use it to incubate these eggs..no range on the temps. You can always place a piece of felt or two between the pad and the chicks. You can get them in the craft section of Walmart and it should help diminish the heat a bit.
Yeah, it's an old one. Good idea, add cloth or toweling to insulate the heat from the chicks, top and bottom.

one of those in-line lamp dimmers would give you great control.

it would be fine as its only a few watts.

I wouldn't. I tried that and it immediately caused some burning smell coming from the electrical cord and the digital reader when black and got hot to the touch immediately. I thought I had ruined the heating pad with that little move but it's been working alright....good thing it did that immediately or I may not have caught it and it could have caused a fire.

I wouldn't. I tried that and it immediately caused some burning smell coming from the electrical cord and the digital reader when black and got hot to the touch immediately. I thought I had ruined the heating pad with that little move but it's been working alright....good thing it did that immediately or I may not have caught it and it could have caused a fire.
i would not do it with a digital reader that requires full power to control the unit either - but it would be fine on something with a basic rheostat like a low-med-hi switch

Back
Top Bottom