Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

I got mine yesterday from Amazon. I will be setting ity up in anticipation of my hatch due Friday.
big_smile.png

For those wanting a larger source of heat in a pad situation but still affordable, here's a device that heats up to 102* and seems fitting for the task...they have from smaller to larger:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ICGJZK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The medium sized can be had for a little over $30 and some shipping if you don't have Amazon prime and free shipping if you do. Here's a pic of the medium sized one...and looks like it would be easy to clean also.

For those wanting a larger source of heat in a pad situation but still affordable, here's a device that heats up to 102* and seems fitting for the task...they have from smaller to larger:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ICGJZK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The medium sized can be had for a little over $30 and some shipping if you don't have Amazon prime and free shipping if you do. Here's a pic of the medium sized one...and looks like it would be easy to clean also.

Buyer Beware...These only work when the animal is lying on them!
They are weight activated.

Last edited:
That's good to know!!
th.gif
Thank you!!
It's not real clear in the description, but after reading a few reviews then reading the description again.....that's the conclusion I came to.
I could be wrong, but I am leary.... it would stink if it didn't get up to temp without 20 or more lbs on it.
I wonder how that works tho....some kind of sensor? how much weight activates it?

Curious too that there are ALOT of used ones for sale...why would that be?

Last edited:
I am currently using one of these and it is working wonderfully! The chicks love it and are all thriving. They are 4-5 days old today and will be going to their new home this afternoon. I didn't have a way of making the sloped legs so I just propped up one side on some hard plastic cups like they use to serve drawn butter in at Red Lobster. I started with stacking them 3 high, then added a 4th as they got a little taller. I expect to be using this a LOT!

I'm using one on meat chicks and it's perfect for them, as they really don't like a brooder that is too hot, so the lamp is often hard to use at this time of year, with the temps fluctuating from cold to warm/hot. The heating pad solves that problem by providing a warmth that is just right and they can get underneath it or sit on top in the sunshine if they like.

Been meaning to update this... added 3" and 2 1/2" long carriage bolts as feet to raise it up as chicks got larger at about 2 weeks.
Then they stopped sleeping under it and cuddled in a corner instead so I removed it from the brooder. They are still inside in a 62 degree room.
I also swapped out the towel on the top with a piece of vinyl that's much easier to clean and used some clips to hold the heating pad and vinyl to the rack.

Here it sits on top of brooder....need to change back to shorter legs as I have 4 new day olds coming next week.

Back
Top Bottom