Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

So I was looking through the various threads on MHP this weekend thinking I needed to order a heating pad to test out prior to getting chicks. This morning I found this on Tractor Supply - https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-and-coop-heater
At $40 it is just a little higher than a heating pad, but since it has been designed for chicks no worries about disabling the auto-off feature! It is a little smaller than the XL Sunbeam, but probably big enough for 15 chicks.

So I was looking through the various threads on MHP this weekend thinking I needed to order a heating pad to test out prior to getting chicks. This morning I found this on Tractor Supply - https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-and-coop-heater
At $40 it is just a little higher than a heating pad, but since it has been designed for chicks no worries about disabling the auto-off feature! It is a little smaller than the XL Sunbeam, but probably big enough for 15 chicks.
Plug and Play!
Looks pretty good.....how easy to adjust height?

I don't like the inability to control the heat tho:
"Built-in Thermostat maintains a constant temperature".
Wonders what heat range is....
...and what the surface temp is(got an infrared?).

It's ~6" smaller....I'd keep capacity to 10.
I used my 12x24 for 16 chicks and they were spilling out the side of it by 4-5 weeks, luckily it was warming up outside by then.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

Plug and Play!

I used my 12x24 for 16 chicks and they were spilling out the side of it by 4-5 weeks, luckily it was warming up outside by then.

Agreed. The Heating Pad is flexible, which makes it easy to work with, and offers variable heat. But like @aart, I’d be interested in how it works out.

Plug and Play!

I don't know much about it other than what is listed at Tractor Supply. A quick Google search didn't yield anything else. It does say it can be switched between brooder and heater mode. It seemed like the heater mode is a higher output which would be too hot for the chicks to touch.

I'm ordering 8 chicks (the minimum from Meyer), so it looks like it might be a good option for that number. It says it can be hung as well, so I'm thinking I may be able to create my own legs using scraps on hand and utilizing the existing hanging holes.

Agreed. The Heating Pad is flexible, which makes it easy to work with, and offers variable heat. But like @aart, I’d be interested in how it works out.
I have some concerns from looking at the reviews on Amazon. At least four people have posted that the controller portion overheated (they have photos of scorched controllers). I do read those with a grain of salt (as I do all reviews that seem to be outliers) because four out of 12,000 seem statistically safe. Also all those reviews were from 2016 which makes me think that they have since addressed this safety concern. I do wonder if that is why they say they are only making versions with an auto-off feature.

I have some concerns from looking at the reviews on Amazon. At least four people have posted that the controller portion overheated (they have photos of scorched controllers). I do read those with a grain of salt (as I do all reviews that seem to be outliers) because four out of 12,000 seem statistically safe. Also all those reviews were from 2016 which makes me think that they have since addressed this safety concern. I do wonder if that is why they say they are only making versions with an auto-off feature.

I’m assuming you are talking about the heating pads, not the heater that was mentioned before, so I’ll respond accordingly. Those reviews were pointed out to us on the Heating Pad thread, but as the poster said, she noticed that those reveiws weren't even for the Heating Pad that we recommend. Another member called Sunbeam directly and was told there were no plans to discontinue those pads and go to Auto Shutoff Only models. The reviews were listed as being for a Pad with a different serial number altogether, a Pad which the Sunbeam rep said had been pulled. And Sunbeam does indeed still make a Pad without any bells and whistles, and which does not have auto-shutoff, at least as of now. The pad I strongly recommend, the Sunbeam X-Press Heat, allows the user to set it to “Stay-on” so I doubt that if a Pad staying on long term caused serious overheating issues in the controller was an issue, it would still be on the market.

I always, always remind potential users of this system that ANY electrical device, from a coffee pot to a phone charger, can overheat. From the moment something is plugged into a wall, it carries an inherent fire risk. Shoot, wiring inside walls can cause fires even with nothing plugged into an outlet. I caution folks never, ever to use an old Heating Pad they may already have, but to spring for a new one if they want to use either Mama Heating Pad or @aart’s pseudo- Heating plate.

Older pads which have been rolled or folded up and stuffed in the back of a linen closet somewhere, while relatively safe to use on our aches and pains, are not safe enough to be plugged in, turned on, and then left to run for a few weeks out of sight of the user. Rolling, folding, and being shuffled around, possibly stored with stacks of heavier things on top of them, may have developed minute cracks or weak spots in the fine wire heating elements, causing shorts and/or overheating. If we are sitting with that pad on our shoulders or backs, we can tell pretty quickly by feel or a smell that that pad has an issue. If it’s out in the coop or in a brooder in another room, those initial signs wouldn’t even be noticed until it’s too late. So use a new pad, store it laid flat, and never, ever roll or fold it.

When it comes right down to it, heating pads are designed to come into direct contact with humans, fabrics and upholstery. Can they fail? Of course they can, and only a fool would say otherwise. But plug in and run a heating pad, then plug in and run a heat lamp. Which one will you touch directly or pick up with bare hands, even after just minutes? Yeah. That’s why I’ll take my chances with a heating pad every time. And if I need any further reminder, there’s the burn scar left on my little granddaughter’s arm from a heat lamp. She is the reason I decided there HAD to be a better way.

That’s why I’ll take my chances with a heating pad every time. And if I need any further reminder, there’s the burn scar left on my little granddaughter’s arm from a heat lamp. She is the reason I decided there HAD to be a better way.

That's why I said I'm am taking these reviews with a grain of salt. My main concern is with Amazon sellers substituting similar item numbers for what you order (sometimes thinking they are doing you a favor by giving you the "better" option), not with the heating pad that you recommended.

I definitely don't want to use a heat lamp, I did that in the past with an indoor brooder that had many extra safety precautions, but I never felt comfortable with that option, it was just what was provided to our 4H group to use.

If I can find the heating pad locally that has the ability to disable the auto-shutoff then I will be getting one, my main thought was - here is a less expensive version of the Eco-Glow that others may want to investigate!

I know that tone of voice doesn't come across well in forums, but I don't want you to think for an instant that I was questioning the safety of what you are using with your coop. I was inspired to do the MHP from your article and Aart's post and I really appreciate all the help, inspiration, and encouragement you two provide!

Oh, no problem, and I didn’t read that into it at all! I think @aart and I have fielded about every question that can be asked or wondered about, and with one notable exception, done so pretty courteously and completely. The exception was the lady who argued with me that putting chicks under a heating pad cave was like putting them into an MRI with no chance to get away from it. After a few exchanges, I’m afraid I got a bit, um, snarky. :lau

You should be able to find the Sunbeam in either Walmart or any of the chain pharmacies. But be forewarned that generally speaking, they only have the smaller pads....I do have one of those as well as the bigger pad I got from Amazon. I like having both, because I can set up MHP outside where I brood them, in preparation for their move out there. I set up a small, temporary brooder in the house for the first couple of days, just to watch for shipping or hatching stress. I want to know they are eating, drinking, and know where to warm up before they go out.

Funny you should mention this as a substitute for the Eco-Glow...that’s what I wanted after Katie burned her arm, but they just weren’t in the budget. And @aart’s thread, this one, predates mine. I didn’t know it existed until there was a post about it on my thread, but I don’t hesitate to steer folks over here to see a rousing good alternative to my “cave” set up. :bow

Oh, no problem, and I didn’t read that into it at all!
Oh thank goodness!

I'm going to make my "city" run tomorrow, so I'll check around to see if I can't find the larger pads. I also have enough time that I can order from Amazon and return (and then re-order and return, and so on) Amazon is good about accepting returns and getting your refund quickly, but because I need to drive to a UPS station every time I make a return it can be a real pain.

Back
Top Bottom