PT Antigen WANTED for Research!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TexasAMQuailLab, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Did you happen to see how the tester tested them?
    I mean did they test them right there on site or did they draw blood and test it somewhere else?

mixedUPturk and R2elk like this.
  2. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Loves Hatching

May 28, 2015
    South LA
    Yes ma'am-- her and i did it all together on site. Pin prick under each birds wing and pick up a drop of blood to put it onto this special sheet with little divits. Wouldve been grainy if infected was clear without infection.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  3. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Loves Hatching

May 28, 2015
    South LA
    We even did my breeding buttons and only accidentally released 2 birds :gig one of which was a button who flew over the neighbors roof :th

She did every one of my 50ish quail and they weren't but like 8 wks old. Was just extra thorough. She even admired my incubators and saw my feed storage after we came inside for paperwork. I shared some of our bird remedies with her, she didnt have much education on vetting sick birds as its kinda skimped with the overall attitude 'its just a bird, replace it' but she is a full vet.

Overall it was a great easy experience.

Cyprus likes this.
  4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    Impossible, actually.

I tried last year, I couldn't because of the lack of antigen.

(Below is for those whom it concerns)
    I had 2 or 3 folks here consistently give me grief over not being NPIP when selling eggs and chicks. I tried, but the program has pretty much been suspended. Not my fault. Also, all testing and papers are waved in WI until further notice.

mymilliefleur likes this.
  5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I had no idea any of this was going on, there's nothing, that I've seen, on the state website about the shortage. I've been reading about getting NPIP lately since a lot of out- of-staters have been asking me to ship hatching eggs.

Cyprus likes this.
  6. TexasAMQuailLab

TexasAMQuailLab In the Brooder

Oct 22, 2019
    My professor gave me the go-ahead to acquire even expired product. We are making an exception because of the shortage, although we realize it is not the best practice.

mixedUPturk and Texas Kiki like this.
  7. Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Awesome! Are you going to post your results here?
    I'd like to follow along.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  8. TexasAMQuailLab

Oct 22, 2019
    It's great that TVMDL extended the last batch, which is what we used last time we translocated, however we are out of even that now. If you would like more information on our project, you can follow this link and read a little bit about it: https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...ack-the-quail-population-and-hunter-to-texas/
    It's been very difficult to coordinate between the different agencies involved to the point where we can not rely on the ever-changing release date from Charles River. We know of laboratories who are willing to have us send samples to them to be tested, but we require our own bottle because we do rapid testing in the field as quickly as possible to process the birds with the least amount of stress and time. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to further discuss our project!
    -Erin the real grad student :)

9. TexasAMQuailLab

Oct 22, 2019
    It's great you are showing interest in our project!! Dallas news did a great article about it that you can read here: https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...ack-the-quail-population-and-hunter-to-texas/
    We have many different facets of the project under separate students, but we are all working together to renew quail hunting and raise conservation dollars for quail species habitat restoration and protection! Let me know if you have any questions!

-Erin :)

10. Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Thanks!
    I will read this now.

mixedUPturk likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: