PTSD with Roosters and now my favorite "girl" is one!!

Henry VIII II absolutely terrorized my family for three long years before dropping dead out of the blue. Pretty cool, cause I didn’t have to dispatch Henry VIII III, who is now a total sweetheart, because he interacts with people as little as possible and doesn’t try to fight at all. Let him prove hisself before you make any decisions, watch how he treats the girls and you.

I agree with @Ridgerunner - what are your goals and fear isn’t a great emotion to have with your chickens. And you have a GOOD reason for this- TWO ER TRIPS!! WOW!

Maybe you just want girls for now. So get rid of the boy. If you want to keep him, maybe for your own well-being he gets his own enclosure for much of the day or all the tine to ride out the teenage hormone surge.

So assess your goals, and then make a decision. It won’t be wrong, because you’ll be achieving your goals.

Good luck.

had a horrible experience years ago with a mean rooster. Put me and my husband in the emergency room on 2 separate occasions. got rid of him. had no chickens for 2 years and just started up again. I have one sweet girl who has a neurological issue and cant walk very well (Brownie is her name), I have 6 other mixed young "girls" and I had a silkie frizzle that was mean from the get go who turned out to be a rooster. Breeder took him back, now my favorite "big girl" who is about 5 1/2 months old started cocka doodling this morning when I went to unlock the coop!!! She is one of my favorites, she lets me pet her and from birth always followed me around and was super nosey! now I am worried. I had/have such a fear of roosters but I think I would try to keep him if he stays nice. are there nice roosters out there????? am I dreaming and he will turn mean???? he isn't even the dominate one out of the girls, he seems to let them do what they want and they push him out of the way. LOL I am so trying to not panic when I am in the pen with everyone, because I do like to hang out with them. I am keeping the Brownie separate from everyone in the same pen, she cant get away so quickly if someone wants to bully her. Should I take a chance on "Big Boy"?? or send him back to the breeder.??
Don't give up hope if you're comfortable with your roo. There are nice ones. If you can get through your fear and continue to love on your favorite bird, go for it. If you are uncomfortable or if he becomes a problem, a new home might be in order. Use your best judgement.

Good luck!

One thing that really helps with roosters is to never show fear. If there is ever any aggression, make sure you do not act scared. The only times I have ever had roosters was when a rooster thought he was in charge of me. Once I learned to smack a rooster or charge it when it wanted to intimidate me then they acknowledged me as top rooster which lead to respect and no more problems

I have a game /game Bantam rooster he is 10 yrs old best rooster ever. Watches over his girls and is fearless. Roosters can be a great asset to a flock. I hope yours proves to be a great one also!

Back
Top Bottom