Puffed/Swollen Comb

cowgirlboots319

Hatching
Oct 6, 2016
So for the past 3 weeks on of my hens has an extremely swollen comb. It is firm and warm to the touch, I know warmth can be a sign of infection. I then started treating her with Tylan 50 but no improvement. The hen has no other symptoms and seems to be in no pain even when I touch the comb or gently squeeze it. Laying eggs, eating, drinking, pooing normally. Any ideas? A vet is not an option right now. Someone suggested Epsom salts but not sure how to go about doing that. Please help!

I haven't a clue. You could try Tetracycline (sold as Duramycin-10). About a tsp in a gallon of water. Make sure it's the only water she has access to for at least 7 days. It covers both gram positive, and gram negative infections. It's kind of an old fashioned way to go, but it works on most infections. I always have some on hand in my animal medicine cabinet.

I don't know what a vet would charge to open it up and find out what is inside. Or stick a syringe into and see if he/she could draw anything out.

I don't know what a vet would charge to open it up and find out what is inside. Or stick a syringe into and see if he/she could draw anything out.
So for the past 3 weeks on of my hens has an extremely swollen comb. It is firm and warm to the touch, I know warmth can be a sign of infection. I then started treating her with Tylan 50 but no improvement. The hen has no other symptoms and seems to be in no pain even when I touch the comb or gently squeeze it. Laying eggs, eating, drinking, pooing normally. Any ideas? A vet is not an option right now. Someone suggested Epsom salts but not sure how to go about doing that. Please help!
I have a game hen like this now - same symptoms: extreme swelling & some black spots like pox but no other signs. Laying, eating, walking, etc. all normal. What happened with yours???

Back
Top Bottom