Puffed up and lethargic pullet

Angelique

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Florida
I've been out of town the past five days and had somebody watching my birds for me. I went out to the coop this morning to let them out of their run and noticed one girl walking very slowly and her feathers were puffed up. She took a short sip of water and pecked at the food, but didn't eat.

I've got her laying in a cage inside now and she seems to be doing worse. No longer standing or lifting her head. I've given her some water from an eyedropper. Her poop is normal.

I had two chickens die a couple of months ago, one was fine and I went out the next morning and she was dead in the coop(She was born with a crooked beak so I suspected a genetic issue at the time) but then a couple of days later I had a hen die. I'd only owned her a month and she always seemed sickly, but I thought maybe it had been the conditions she had been kept in before. After she died I gave the rest of the flock medicated water for a few days and dusted them. I haven't had a problem until now.

offer her some scrambled eggs, add some electrolytes and or vitamins to her water.

Your definition is too vague to determine what may be wrong with her. Right now until she shows any other symptoms - just get some fluid in her and try to get some food in her.

If shes a younger pullet and you haven't treated for Cocci - I would get some Corid or Sulmet and treat her - that would be my first guess whats wrong with her...

I have a can of powdered gatorade that I've been mixing into the water I give her. They have been medicated for cocci. I went to a breeder friend to see if maybe she knew what was wrong with my last sick hen, and she mixed me up some Sulmet. I also mixed up some Exact for her, since she wouldn't eat on her own.

Update: She can't hold her head up anymore, she keeps her eyes closed and her breathing is light. I'm afraid she won't last much longer. I heard some flapping in the cage a few minutes ago and she had moved to one side of the cage, and her head was raised and moving left and right slowly. Eyes still closed. Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom