Puffed up Black Sex Link who is clucking

ChickenGirl300

Crowing
Jun 16, 2019
Hi, I have a Black Sex Link chicken who has been been puffed up like a turkey and making an unusual clucking sound like she's broody. I know BSLs are not know for broodiness. She hasn't been spending unusual amounts of time in the nest and she is laying regularly. She has slept in the nesting box the past couple of nights, but she does that sometimes anyway. What do you think?

Ok thanks I will try that. How long would it take her to decide whether she wants to be broody or not?

That's an individual bird thing. Some are more determined than others. There is no rhyme or reason. I've had breeds that don't go broody become broody often and others known to become broody never get the urge.
If you don't want to hatch chicks, have an elevated wire bottom cage ready to jail the bird.

Ok, thank you I've never had a broody before. I will block off the nesting boxes tonight and see what happens. Thanks for your help. (I just looked out the window and she's puffed up like a beach ball on their perch)

If she's puffed up on the roost and not in the nest or on the ground, there may be a health issue going on.
They don't go broody on a roost.
Ok, thanks. I will check on her tonight and see where she is. She seems normal apart from being puffed up, her new noise, and a worse attitude with the others.

Back
Top Bottom