Puffed up hen/new momma hen

Feb 4, 2020
Indiana
I have a new momma hen that just hatched out a chick. She is walking around all puffed up. She’s not lethargic or seemingly egg bound. She walks around all puffed up with or without her chick walking next to her, so I’m wondering if this is just normal behavior after a hen has hatched out a chick…. Maybe it’s some sort of protective behavior? Does anyone have experience with this?
Thank you!

I have a new momma hen that just hatched out a chick. She is walking around all puffed up. She’s not lethargic or seemingly egg bound. She walks around all puffed up with or without her chick walking next to her, so I’m wondering if this is just normal behavior after a hen has hatched out a chick…. Maybe it’s some sort of protective behavior? Does anyone have experience with this?
Thank you!
My bantam Cochin used to puff herself up and walk around when she was broody (sooo almost all the time 😂). So she’s probably just being defensive and maybe a bit proud of herself. :)

Thank you!
Congratulations! :celebrate

Yes, broody puffing is completely normal!

It's a good way to intimidate flock mates or would be predators.

Does she have more babies hatching still? Pics or video's welcome! :pop

She is off the nest, however another broody hen has started sitting on the remainder of the eggs. More and more eggs kept appearing under the original hen, so the hatch dates will be different for some of the chicks unfortunately!

She is off the nest, however another broody hen has started sitting on the remainder of the eggs. More and more eggs kept appearing under the original hen, so the hatch dates will be different for some of the chicks unfortunately!

Staggered hatch is very undesirable.

Next time for the best success.. consider marking the eggs she is hatching (pencil rubs off), and collecting the new eggs deposited daily.

Best wishes and happy hatching for those still developing! :fl

Just agreeing with others that it's normal for Momma to puff up like a Turkey around other flock members. Is there a Roo around? She may or may not let him near for a time. But when she does and he stares at the chick with head lowered to the ground.... he's imprinting on his baby. Just another tip to look for.
Good luck. Post pics

As others have said, perfectly normal. Here's one of mine fully inflated :p
DSC00495.JPG

Back
Top Bottom