Puffed up, lethargic hen with runny, yellow poop!

Rahmeti0520

Hatching
Apr 20, 2021
Hi, everyone! I have a 1 year old black silver laced Wyandotte who has been acting off for a few days. The flock free ranges, but this weekend I noticed she wasn't coming out of the coop with the others. She was staying on the roost most of the day with her feathers puffed out and her neck tucked in. Today I noticed her poop is pale yellow and runny. I've separated her from the rest, but I'm not sure how to treat her, as I'm pretty new to chickens. She does not appear to be egg bound. I've examined her closely and I don't see or feel any physical symptoms outside of the yellow poop. None of the other chickens (11 hens and 1 rooster) appear unwell. What would you try first in terms of treatment?

Attachments

• 20210420_154408.jpg
    20210420_154408.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
How long ago did she lay an egg? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for an egg. She might be egg bound with a shell-less egg, or some other problem. Have you ever seen a broken egg or a shell-less egg in a nest box or on the floor? You could give her a calcium tablet or Tums today, and place her in a warm space while separated. Get her drinking water, and if you have electrolytes or some Poultry NutriDrench, I would give some. Examine her crop, and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, puffy, or like putty. Check her lower belly between her legs, to feel if it seems enlarged or swollen.

Thank you for responding so quickly! I have never seen a shell-less or broken egg in the coop. Her lower belly felt completely normal when I checked, and her crop seemed empty. (That was late morning). I can check the vent and double check everything else when I get home. Not sure when she last laid, but we have 11 hens and got eleven eggs twice in the last week so I'm sure she laid at least twice in the last 7 days.

Update: She is eating and drinking VERY little, but does not appear egg bound. Nothing detected 1-2 inches in, empty crop. Today I found more yellow runny poop outside, which means another bird is displaying similar symptoms. Planning to treat the whole flock with Corid because, honestly, I don't know what else to do. Any other suggestions would be welcome! TIA!

Update: She is eating and drinking VERY little, but does not appear egg bound. Nothing detected 1-2 inches in, empty crop. Today I found more yellow runny poop outside, which means another bird is displaying similar symptoms. Planning to treat the whole flock with Corid because, honestly, I don't know what else to do. Any other suggestions would be welcome! TIA!
Any update? My hen is currently showing the exact same symptoms :(

How is your hen? Pictures of droppings are helpful sometimes. Yellow poops can be a sign of either E.coli infection or sometimes ascites, especially if the normally white urates are yellow. A vet can be helpful to determine if there are parasites or bacteria in the droppings. If you lose her, it would be helpful to have your state vet to do a necropsy to find out what the problem was. Here is a good link for your state vet:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom