puffy cheeks

Without a photo, I can guess that you may be seeing the beginning of a sinus infection. I would get him to a vet if at all possible.

Actually, if the cheeks are puffy, it could be beyond the beginning. But hard to say from here. Is his bill warmer than normal?

Last edited:
His puffy cheeks are not warmer than the rest of him. They are kinda squishy. I was told it was normal but now I don't think that's right. He looks like he has chipmunk cheeks.

No, it sounds like an infection. If that is the case he really needs antibiotics.

Can you get him to a vet? Up in the head like that, that seems serious.

I haven't been able to find a vet that will look at him but i talked to my vet tech tonight she said start him on Tylan? Tomorrow

I'm pretty worried about him I've only had him a few days and that's the way he looked when I got him

Very good. I know feed stores often sell antibiotics. Glad you got some help.

Meanwhile, I would give him some poultry vitamins to boost his little immune system. Poor guy. Things can happen.

How about putting a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of drinking water? It is supposed to be a tonic, and have some mild antibacterial properties. I know it's not going to be in his bloodstream, but if he clears his nostrils with it it could help a little bit.

By the way, what is his drinking water source? Can he wash his head frequently?

I put some apple cider vinegar water in their for him tonight. They have a bucket to wash their head in. I'm gonna start the antibiotics in the morning do you have any idea how long to notice a difference in his face. What's the likely hood of my other ones getting it ? If it's not sinus infection will the antibiotics hurt him? I feel so bad the lady I got them from seemed so sincere I never would have thought she would have sent me home with a sick bird

Ducks hide illness very, very well - she likely had no idea. And infections can fester for a while and then flare up.

I doubt the others will get it. Sinus infections are often caused by ducks not being able to wash their heads enough.

Sinus infections, due to their location, can be slow to get to - but I really don't know in his case how long to expect it to take. It could take several days.

If it is cold where you are, I would make sure he is in milder temperatures - like, 50F at least.

hugs.gif

It's in the 70's here so that's no problem. I really hope it kicks in fast and he's okay I imagine it's gotta be painful. But he is eating and drinking well and playing with his girls

Back
Top Bottom