puffy cheeks

Well im on my way to the state lab Friday to take a sample of the puss to have them run tests i guess i will have a better idea of what im working with then.

I have been wondering if this isn't an abscess.  Those like to recur and can be tough to get rid off.
yep. I believe using the Tylan before without draining it, caused it to go down some, but the infection was too much for it (building resistance to the antibiotic).
It came back. They drained it but no antibiotics.
It came back again (x3?) Then they tried antibiotics again without draining it.

What was it Einstein said about the definition of insanity? Opening and flushing it out is the only chance he's got, it may have spread to the bone. It may require surgery. Infection causes scar tissue. He may need to see a vet.

He will need a stronger antibiotic, a full course even if it appears to get better or appears to stay the same.

Last edited:
yep. I believe using the Tylan before without draining it, caused it to go down some, but the infection was too much for it (building resistance to the antibiotic).

What was it Einstein said about the definition of insanity? Opening and flushing it out is the only chance he's got, it may have spread to the bone. It may require surgery. Infection causes scar tissue. He may need to see a vet.

He will need a stronger antibiotic, a full course even if it appears to get better or appears to stay the same.
You know im going to say this the nicest way I know how. I was given this duck and he was sick when I got him I could have sent him to the chopping block but instead I took the time to try to nurse him back to health because he is a good Drake with a lovely disposition and even though he is not 100% well he has good quality of life, I have spent hours researching and making phone calls and talking to people trying to make him well again I have done everything I could possibly think of I have talked to vets and other chicken and duck people who may know of something I can do to fix him. The antibiotics the first time was what the vet recommended and not to drain it because it could spread the infection. I didn't give antibiotics the second time because I wanted to monitor how it was going and didn't want to give antibiotics unnecessarily if it was not going to help I didn't want to build up a resistance to an antibiotic I might need again, now I have found out the state lab will be able to test it and tell me which route to take that is the best course of action. I wish i had known that sooner it would have saved a whole lot of trouble but you learn as you go.

Can you send me a pic of the Tylan bottle that you are using
I'm sorry I thought I sent this earlier

Let us know what the lab say but understand, you said you got this duck sick from day one.

From what I have seen in the pics and what your saying Red Flags us as an automatic guess of a Sinus infection. I have seen this before, I'm dealing with it right now. The Tylan you are using is a STRONG Doze, I am using Tylan 50. You have a stronger dose and yet still NO results.

We can't say FOR sure what your problem is because we DON"T know, have we dealt with something similar, YES, and what we have done is exactly what you are doing now. SO if he isn't getting better then obviously something else is going on. So we try one thing if it doesn't work, We try something else UNTIL, we get results. That is why I was ready to try the next step. But I think at this point will just wait and see what the lab results are..

FYI: I have a list of different things to try to see if we can wipe this problem out and we haven't even gotten threw a 1/4 of the list. LOL..

I disagree about the stronger antibiotic..

Let us know what the lab say but understand, you said you got this duck sick from day one. 

From what I have seen in the pics and what your saying Red Flags us as an automatic guess of a Sinus infection.  I have seen this before, I'm dealing with it right now. The Tylan you are using is a STRONG Doze, I am using Tylan 50. You have a stronger dose and yet still NO results. 

We can't say FOR sure what your problem is because we DON"T know, have we dealt with something similar, YES, and what we have done is exactly what you are doing now.  SO if he isn't getting better then obviously something else is going on.  So we try one thing if it doesn't work, We try something else UNTIL, we get results.  That is why I was ready to try the next step.  But I think at this point will just wait and see what the lab results are..

FYI: I have a list of different things to try to see if we can wipe this problem out and we haven't even gotten threw a 1/4 of the list.  LOL.. 
I want to start of by saying I really appreciate all the time in effort everyone has put in trying to help me help Alvin. I know you can't tell me for sure what's wrong with him, I wish you could lol. I'm really hoping the lab will be able to tell me what it is. I've never dealt with anything like this before and I'm glad this forum is here for people like me to learn from

Back
Top Bottom