puffy cheeks

Here's hoping you get a quick answer from the lab
fl.gif

Sorry I've been out of the loop, was working @ VBS all last week so had no spare time. Question - how did the fluid look when you drained it this past time... last Monday or Tuesday? More of the same puss, or something different? That can give a little insight into what's going on in the body. For example, more puss means more infection, while clear fluid means the body is protecting the spot, like with a blister (less or no infection).

While we're waiting on the lab, it's worth evaluating his environment too, because there's always the possibility of something exacerbating or reintroducing the problem. For example could the water in the pool be harboring the bacteria? The other ducks don't have to catch it - his system is already compromised to it. Could there be an irritant such as wood dust?

Actually, I looked back through the thread. They are on pine and hay? I've done some research on pine - while it is not a "bad" product, it can have some problems. It has certain acids and aromatics that will kill cells in the lungs and cause scarring - not always enough to cause problems, but it can be harmful. There are a few cases I've read where animals tend to have longer illnesses when on pine, or humans in woodworking factories got asthma - like it compromised their immune systems. I could go on but basically, it might be worthwhile to take him off the pine and see if that helps any (shavings from aspen, birch, oak, other hardwoods are fine). You can also do things like put him on a probiotic to make sure his "good" bacteria are at normal levels, just to avoid any gastric issues getting compounded on top of this.

Here's hoping you get a quick answer from the lab :fl

Sorry I've been out of the loop, was working @ VBS all last week so had no spare time. Question - how did the fluid look when you drained it this past time... last Monday or Tuesday? More of the same puss, or something different? That can give a little insight into what's going on in the body. For example, more puss means more infection, while clear fluid means the body is protecting the spot, like with a blister (less or no infection).

While we're waiting on the lab, it's worth evaluating his environment too, because there's always the possibility of something exacerbating or reintroducing the problem. For example could the water in the pool be harboring the bacteria? The other ducks don't have to catch it - his system is already compromised to it. Could there be an irritant such as wood dust?

Actually, I looked back through the thread. They are on pine and hay? I've done some research on pine - while it is not a "bad" product, it can have some problems. It has certain acids and aromatics that will kill cells in the lungs and cause scarring - not always enough to cause problems, but it can be harmful. There are a few cases I've read where animals tend to have longer illnesses when on pine, or humans in woodworking factories got asthma - like it compromised their immune systems. I could go on b ut basically, it might be worthwhile to take him off the pine and see if that helps any (shavings from aspen, birch, oak, other hardwoods are fine). You can also do things like put him on a probiotic to make sure his "good" bacteria are at normal levels, just to avoid any gastric issues getting compounded on top of this.
I wouldn't use aspen, the poop turns very dusty on it and is prone to molding. Dusty poop+mold=sick animals with aspergilloses.

I wouldn't use aspen, the poop turns very dusty on it and is prone to molding. Dusty poop+mold=sick animals with aspergilloses.

Good to know! I hadn't heard about aspen being that different from others. I'll clarify my earlier statement - softwood species (conifers/evergreens) have those harmful acids in them, while hardwood species do not.

Actually, I looked back through the thread. They are on pine and hay? I've done some research on pine - while it is not a "bad" product, it can have some problems. It has certain acids and aromatics that will kill cells in the lungs and cause scarring - not always enough to cause problems, but it can be harmful. There are a few cases I've read where animals tend to have longer illnesses when on pine, or humans in woodworking factories got asthma - like it compromised their immune systems. I could go on but basically, it might be worthwhile to take him off the pine and see if that helps any (shavings from aspen, birch, oak, other hardwoods are fine). You can also do things like put him on a probiotic to make sure his "good" bacteria are at normal levels, just to avoid any gastric issues getting compounded on top of this.

unfortunately the lab called me today and said the sample was compromised so the test was inconclusive they need another sample and since their is no swelling I can't get another sample till it swells again.

The puss pretty much looked the same and currently their bedding is just plain hay

You can receive moldy hay. That could be part of it?
he was already like that when he got here. Plus we make our hay ourselves so I know it's fresh and not moldy. I'm not saying it's not environmental but what are the chances of it being something from here and the place he came from

Back
Top Bottom