Puffy eyed peafowl.

How is it going? Are peafowl more likely to get sinus infections then other fowl?
Yes but if you keep having reoccurring sinus infections in your flocks i would have them tested for MG
here is a bit on it from UPA website.
M. gallisepticum (MG), M. synoviae (MS), and M. meleagridis (MM) are micoplasma diseases with MG and MM being the most serious and prevalent. Both MG and MM produce respiratory illness often diagnosed or reported as "Sinusitis", swelling of the eye sinuses, and "Air Sacculitis", air sacs or air reservoirs of the respiratory system are enflamed and contain exudates or pus. MS infections are seen as arthritic and joint infections. There are no absolute cures for micoplasma infections but several antibiotics are effective as treatment and control of the infections. Recovered peafowl remain carriers and the disease is transmitted from the hen to the chick in the egg. Therefore; it is best not to save any micoplasma postive birds for breeding purpose since this would be perpetuating the disease year after year.

Last edited:
Looks like a sinus infection to me. Tylan 200 will cure that right up. You will need to inject it into their breast. I've had peafowl contract sinus infections over the years and the tylan has cured every one.

Looks like a sinus infection to me. Tylan 200 will cure that right up. You will need to inject it into their breast. I've had peafowl contract sinus infections over the years and the tylan has cured every one.
Do NOT inject into the breast! Tylan causes permanent muscle damage. They even say that in the literature that comes with it.

You can inject it at the base of the neck between the shoulders just under the skin and it will work too. Gently pull the feathers up and where the feathers meet the skin just injected it there. I have injected both tylan 200 and baytril in the same area when needed.

Last edited:
Anna how did your peahen amke out? Should see some results by now
wink.png
Hope all is cleared up for her
fl.gif

Anna how did your peahen amke out? Should see some results by now
wink.png
Hope all is cleared up for her
fl.gif

x2

My first peacock, Romeo..turned up with a sinus infection...after battling it for months we lost him. After that we found out about Baytril and Tylan.

Fingers crossed for your baby!

~ Aspen

Aspen, Sorry you lost Romeo. Do you know why you lost him? Did he just stop eating or was it something else? I read somewhere that the infection can go into their brain. Just curious. And again, sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

Aspen, Sorry you lost Romeo. Do you know why you lost him? Did he just stop eating or was it something else? I read somewhere that the infection can go into their brain. Just curious. And again, sorry for your loss.

-Kathy
A friend of mine has peafowl; she called me up one day and asked if I'd be interested in a white peacock, Romeo. He had attacked their grandson and her husband said she could either give it away or he'd shoot it. So I took him in. He was the sweetest most beautiful boy you ever saw! He rode in my lap all the way home..talk about turning heads! LOL His train was about 6' long at the time..it filled up the whole pickup. We knew nothing about peafowl...so being the newbies that we were, we stuck him in the chicken pen...by a week or so his eye started swelling up and he had trouble breathing. We brought him up to the front yard away from the chickens and started doctoring him. He kept getting worse and worse. We'd bring him inside twice a day, clean up his eye, etc. He'd roost on a latter on the front porch. We totally fell in love with him. One night he fell off the roost, and after that he went down hill. We lost him that night. I still miss my baby boy. After that happened I was just heart-broken..down the road I ended up with 6 peachicks..before any of them reached 5 months old we'd either lost them all to a bobcat who decided to come into the front yard while we're standing there (the peachicks were free ranging in the front yard), or we lost them to skunks, or they got sick because of the chickens. After that, I did not keep peafowl for about two years...then last summer I was hatching out some peachicks and fell in love with two of the ones I hatched. Then a friend of mine who lives about 20 minutes away called me up and asked if I'd be interested in a peachick. One of his peahens had hatched out three, a lady was coming to pick up two but didn't want all three, so of course I took the sweet lil thing.

I still have all three peas...I ended up with a gorgeous trio! Their names are Peacock, Tulsa, and Tamina. They are my precious babies and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

We bought them a 10' x 10 x 6' chainlink dog kennel, it works great. They are totally away from any chickens/guineas, etc and never come in contact with them. We have some of my geese housed near by, but they cannot get diseases from them so we don't have to worry.

I didn't mean this to turn into my peafowl story..sorry!

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom