Puhlese!! Help us decide a direction?!?

I respect everyone's suggestions, but what do you really want? I know you have done a ton of research. I have had several different breeds over the years and have done some experimental breeding. Get what you really want. Maybe start off with a few breeds. If they don't work out try other breeds. You can always add more. I don't know what your setup is like with coops and pens. Maybe get your boys started in 4H. Years ago I hatched out chicks for the local 4H kids to raise and show. Good luck and have fun...
This is a RIR cockerel I hatched out, a young girl raised him and he was a champion in the youths.
2015-01-10 14.22.29.jpg

I have be
I respect everyone's suggestions, but what do you really want? I know you have done a ton of research. I have had several different breeds over the years and have done some experimental breeding. Get what you really want. Maybe start off with a few breeds. If they don't work out try other breeds. You can always add more. I don't know what your setup is like with coops and pens. Maybe get your boys started in 4H. Years ago I hatched out chicks for the local 4H kids to raise and show. Good luck and have fun...
This is a RIR cockerel I hatched out, a young girl raised him and he was a champion in the youths.
View attachment 2342354
Your Cockrel is beautiful. For some reason I keep leaning towards the Swedish Flowers...I'm unsure on the rest

Then get the Swedish Flowers. They are nice and tranquil. I had my first flock around 50 years ago. My first flock was Leghorns. I still have some Leghorns. More flighty. Again, good luck and have fun...

Then get the Swedish Flowers. They are nice and tranquil. I had my first flock around 50 years ago. My first flock was Leghorns. I still have some Leghorns. More flighty. Again, good luck and have fun...
Thank you so much, the joy is really our motivation.

I have looked at the Icelandics, they seem really cool
I just tried Bresse this year for the first time. Cool bird. Pretty chill, fast grower and the largest rooster processed at 5 months ever for me.
I have yet to try the Icelandic... someday! I don't think I have enough land for it to be happy. Mine free range, but seems like the Icelandics might need more space than I have to forage. Can't wait to see what you pick! =)

I’m partial to the Bielefelder. Huge birds that are gentle giants and have great coloring.

I would also pick the buckeye Chicken. Great foragers, do well in both cold and heat (AZ Dry heat)

another cool one is the turken.

What about Orpingtons? With the times like they are, the new people buying chickens seem to want them for egg production, meat and or pet friendly for children.
I have six different breeds of chickens and the Orphingtons are my favorite!

I would go for showgirls or cochins, but those are also just some of my favorite breeds so that's maybe not a helpful answer. Maybe araucanas? Something with interesting looks.

Back
Top Bottom