Pullet 22 weeks old laying time?

Cold doesn't really play a role unless you get into the extremes. We feel like it's cold, but it's Greek cold, not Canadian cold ;) . She'll likely lay soon
So she has reached sexual maturity and she is ready!!! Do you remember my 1st post with her? And look at her now!! She squatted to me for the first time!!

So she has reached sexual maturity and she is ready!!! Do you remember my 1st post with her? And look at her now!! She squatted to me for the first time!!
Sounds like she'll be laying soon for you! My girls get very chatty, sometimes flighty, and sometimes even anxious a few days before they begin laying. Some more so than others. Each lady is different. She's a pretty girl!

One thing you might want to do...

I recommend putting an "egg" in the nesting box where you want her to lay. I purchased 2 ceramic eggs for the purpose to educate new layers. Some use golf balls or you can even use a painted round rock.

You could use an actual egg, but there is a small chance that she'll end up eating the egg and that is hard habit to break once they learn to eat eggs.

The first egg may be laid in an odd place as she doesn't really know what is happening to her body, but she will quickly learn to lay where the other "egg" is when she feels like she is going to lay again.

I do! She might mature a little more before laying her first egg, but she looks so much better, and more able to take on egg laying! Hopefully she doesn't take from her mom's egg laying abilities

Depends on how you look at it, and what you want from this girl. I had ISA brown for many many years. They'd lay every day, not even stopping to molt, or to take a winter break, and then after two to three years, crash. One year later or so, and they'd die from a reproductive issue. I don't think this is the epitome of positivity when it comes to egg laying

Depends on how you look at it, and what you want from this girl. I had ISA brown for many many years. They'd lay every day, not even stopping to molt, or to take a winter break, and then after two to three years, crash. One year later or so, and they'd die from a reproductive issue. I don't think this is the epitome of positivity when it comes to egg laying
I agree with you. Even though laying eggs is a sign of a very healthy chicken, laying too many eggs becomes abnormal. At this point, I wouldn't want my pullet to have taken this characteristic from her mom but from dad's mother or grandmother which could lead to a more stable laying ability and wouldn't cause health issues in the future.

Back
Top Bottom