Pullet 22 weeks old laying time?

PanosGR

Songster
Oct 15, 2023
Athens, Greece.
Hello, my pullet is turning 22 weeks old this Sunday. I wonder when will she start laying eggs and what changes in behavior should I expect before she starts laying. Thanks,
Here is my baby.

2023-12-06-11-35-51-481.jpg

It should be any day now. I never notice any changes in my birds before they start laying, but you might expect for her to be a bit over aggressive the firsr few days of laying.

My hen just squatted to me today. Is this a sign?
Yes. It will likely be in within the next week or so. Again, winter plays a role, but I'm not sure that it gets cold enough in Greece. Actually, it is really shorter daylight rather than cold that makes the biggest difference. First year layers are more likely to lay in winter than older hens.

I recommend you put your general location in your profile. It makes a difference and can help us better answer your questions.

She's a pretty girl.

Yes. It will likely be in within the next week or so. Again, winter plays a role, but I'm not sure that it gets cold enough in Greece. Actually, it is really shorter daylight rather than cold that makes the biggest difference. First year layers are more likely to lay in winter than older hens.

I recommend you put your general location in your profile. It makes a difference and can help us better answer your questions.

She's a pretty girl.
I live in Athens, Greece. It's about 12 degrees Celsius outside right now but it gets dark when time is about 17:30

So even though it's Winter, could she lay for me?
I hatched her myself sir!

I live in Athens, Greece. It's about 12 degrees Celsius outside right now but it gets dark when time is about 17:30

I live in Canada, and in January last year in below freezing temperatures my pullet about the same age as yours started laying even though the daylight was still so short. She's a lovely pullet!

Pullets (<1 year) are more likely to lay in winter than older hens (>=1 years). I don't know what the overall percentages are, but here is my personal experience:

Pullets: 4 of 10 layed in winter.
Hens: 1 of 10 hens layed in winter and only for one winter, not in her 3rd winter

Edit: Large scale commercial egg producers force their hens to lay in winter by keeping them in controlled environments with artificial light. Some backyard chicken owners provide more light to encourage laying in winter, but most allow their bodies to rest naturally in winter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom