Pullet attacked! *GRAPHIC PICS*

Okay, just washed her wounds out, she seems to be doing better. She wouldnt let me cut any of her feathers, though. She is no longer bleeding, but all of her skin is super red.
For those of you who can't see the pic, the injury is located right where her "arm pit" is. There is not a pic of her neck injury, but I can see all of her muscles through it.
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your girl, I had one of mine get caught up in some rope the other day and I found her hanging there just in time. She was really in shock and not doing well, but she's perking up a lot - hopefully yours will do the same!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Is she eating? Maybe try giving her some scrambled eggs and/or yogurt, something that will be easy for her to eat. Can she move her injured wing?

Aww I'm so sorry for your chicken:( Unfortunately I don't really have any medical advice but it always helps animals heal quicker to pet them often and just basically comfort them. Keeping her from scratching or picking at the wound is also a must. Hope she heals ok!!

Try putting Neosporin pain relief on her open wounds (not the antibacterial, it will sting. The pain relief cleans the wound too, though)

If she's in shock, feed her some Gatorade (not too much- just a little on her favorite food). It has electrolytes in it.

Is she depressed? My pullet was depressed after a dog attack and refused to eat for a while: take her away from the flock and feed her a little bit at a time until she's better.

I had a younger chick (well, 8+ish weeks) get a gash in his side not too long ago, also in the 'armpit' area. He's now back outside and LOVING it! I just cleaned up the wound (very carefully, peroxide and water) and CAREFULLY dabbed some triple-antibiotic ointment on it. He was pretty good about it, and it healed up darned quick. I kept him inside with another chick (raised with) for about a week, just on his regular food and water.

He STILL tries to escape the tractor to run with the older Welsummers
roll.png
thats when he got injured in the first place, sharp branch or nasty thorn was my guess. Him and the others are getting bigger, but aren't quite big enough to run with the 'big guys'.

You might try a few drops of Rescue Remedy in her water. A good thing to wash the wounds with is colloidal silver-it won't sting her and is anti;viral, bacterial and fungal. You can also give it subcutaneously to get her fluids up.

Back
Top Bottom