Pullet bullied to pieces, no tail left! First major injury, help!

Calomel

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
I have a Light Brahma pullet that's 3 months old that got picked to pieces today and I'm really worried about her. She's so much bigger than the other little ones, I never expected her to end up being bullied! I burst into tears when I found her, tucked into a corner of the run to hide her head. She was just fine last night and this morning, I don't know how the rest of the flock could have turned on her in just a few hours! She has no skin on her tail anymore, and I think I can see bone.
hit.gif
I have a picture, but it is really awful looking and graphic. :( This is before I put on the BluKote or trimmed short the three or four tail feathers that were left, so they didn't get stuck to the wound.

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/prathdarkwyrm/media/junk/100_1296_zpsa95db377.jpg.html

I trimmed away the feathers that could get stuck, rinsed off the area with warm water and a saline wash, some hydrogen peroxide, and applied BluKote. She's in her own isolation coop with fresh bedding, I dissolved asprin and electrolytes in her water. I've seen her drink, but not eat. She's slept some, and she's tried to preen. Is there anything else I can do for her? I feel so horrible!

You can try it if you want,but when my silkies get injured I feed them high quality,dry cat food.I believe it helps mine.Hope she gets better.

Thank you GranmaEm, your thread about your Polish girl is very encouraging. I'll go pick up some Vetericyn ASAP, I think it will need to be ordered in. I'll offer her some scrambled egg too, for extra protein, and see about building her a little run in the yard where she can stretch her legs during recovery.

Do you think she might have been attacked by a predator or a rat? Then they started pecking at the blood? Hopefully she will be fine. If it was the chickens only, the bully needs to come out of the flock into chicken jail for a week.

Do you think she might have been attacked by a predator or a rat? Then they started pecking at the blood? Hopefully she will be fine. If it was the chickens only, the bully needs to come out of the flock into chicken jail for a week.
No, the coop is completely enclosed with 1/2" hardware cloth and that is buried a foot deep. I've seen a mouse or two in the last couple years, but I've never seen a rat on the property. The culprit is in the flock, my guess is the barred rock hen who has been very aggressive over the last week. I wish I could put her in chicken jail, but the jail is also the isolation and recovery coop, which was our brooder. The only other thing I have is a small cat/dog carrier.

Things are looking much better this morning. Callisto is up and walking around, has eliminated (it's watery, but I'm guessing that's normal from the stress and it will get better?) ate some of the scrambled egg I made for her, and I caught her snuggled up against the feeder eating last night. She's roosting normally and even trying to preen what few little feather stubs are left on her backside. Eyes are bright, nothing is off-colored or oozing.

Update: Callisto is back outside with the rest of the flock, wearing an extra long chicken saddle/armor to protect her backside. The aggressive Barred Rock is in jail for a few days, and just so Callisto wouldn't be the odd chicken out with a saddle, they all got saddles. Only hers is extra long, though. The others are so preoccupied with their new accessories, they're completely ignoring Callisto and playing nice. No squabbles over the food, no chasing the little ones away from the water. My husband found them all together this morning, even the former second-in-command was behaving.

Back
Top Bottom