Pullet closing eyes while standing up. HELP!

Rhythmoflove_11

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
I was outside with my girls a couple hours ago and out of nowhere I noticed that my 18 week old Cochin was standing up and closing her eyes. I had already been with them an hour and she hadn’t done it, but once she started she keeps doing it. She isn’t dropping her head exactly, just drooping it a bit when she does it. She went to drink and kept closing her eyes in between drinking. She seems to be grooming a bit more than usual. Her poop is also runny and strange looking. I’m including a picture, only so you can see what it looks like. She seems to be eating and drinking as usual, and I’m not sure if she’s fluffed up more than usual, since she’s already so fluffy. I’ve only had chickens since May, so I’m no expert yet. This set we’ve had 4 and a half weeks. and we were about to put everyone together. Glad we haven’t yet. I’ve already given her water treated with corid, in case if it’s coccidia. We’ve had other birds have it back in May, these girls are in another place and and like I said we’ve had them 4 and a half weeks.
CF0F4D20-F388-488E-B994-9C8AF507864F.jpeg
24B6ED9D-8568-4681-82F5-466E60656F08.jpeg
05C22358-9D75-49C3-9665-A5E8DD964E5E.jpeg
F9F2BF07-02AB-4DBF-8773-9C308AF9E114.jpeg

Attachments

• 4DBCF692-2785-4312-BC20-C61FCFC185CC.jpeg
    4DBCF692-2785-4312-BC20-C61FCFC185CC.jpeg
    905.6 KB · Views: 5
  • D9613A59-19CC-4FFC-8253-9C80334EEC4B.jpeg
    D9613A59-19CC-4FFC-8253-9C80334EEC4B.jpeg
    771 KB · Views: 4
  • A06119E2-AFDD-4433-833A-38AE3BC271DD.jpeg
    A06119E2-AFDD-4433-833A-38AE3BC271DD.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I was outside with my girls a couple hours ago and out of nowhere I noticed that my 18 week old Cochin was standing up and closing her eyes. I had already been with them an hour and she hadn’t done it, but once she started she keeps doing it. She isn’t dropping her head exactly, just drooping it a bit when she does it. She went to drink and kept closing her eyes in between drinking. She seems to be grooming a bit more than usual. Her poop is also runny and strange looking. I’m including a picture, only so you can see what it looks like. She seems to be eating and drinking as usual, and I’m not sure if she’s fluffed up more than usual, since she’s already so fluffy. I’ve only had chickens since May, so I’m no expert yet. This set we’ve had 4 and a half weeks. and we were about to put everyone together. Glad we haven’t yet. I’ve already given her water treated with corid, in case if it’s coccidia. We’ve had other birds have it back in May, these girls are in another place and and like I said we’ve had them 4 and a half weeks.
View attachment 1911774 View attachment 1911776 View attachment 1911777 View attachment 1911778
I have an 8 week old chick doing the exact same thing. Her stool looks similar, did the Corid work?

She is 8 weeks old, raised with 7 other chicks and 6 ducklings. They have a horse stall converted to a chicken/ duck house at night, 14 x 14 safe quarters outside and free range to grass supervised. The chicks eat Purina Flock Raiser and the ducklings eat Southern States Water Fowl feed. She began have soft stool in her tail feathers Saturday. By Sunday she began holding her eyes closed and refused to eat. I separated all chickens and started Corid Sunday night for all chickens. She began eating again Monday night and is now eating well but will not open her eyes. No eye discharge or crust or swelling. She seems a little unsteady but normal posture. They are exposed to wet areas from duck pond and occasionally will eat some of the duck food. All other chicks are fine. Coccidiosis, virus? Keep doing corrid? :confused:
I can post a picture tomorrow. Thank you!

Make sure they are taking enough of the medicated water. If you have the liquid Corid, you can also give a couple of drops (or 0.1 ml per pound) of the undiluted liquid Corid twice a day to jump start their treatment.

Make sure they are taking enough of the medicated water. If you have the liquid Corid, you can also give a couple of drops (or 0.1 ml per pound) of the undiluted liquid Corid twice a day to jump start their treatment.
Many thanks. Are there any other concerns that I should keep in mind or does it sound like coccidiosis? Thank you again.

She is 8 weeks old, raised with 7 other chicks and 6 ducklings. They have a horse stall converted to a chicken/ duck house at night, 14 x 14 safe quarters outside and free range to grass supervised. The chicks eat Purina Flock Raiser and the ducklings eat Southern States Water Fowl feed. She began have soft stool in her tail feathers Saturday. By Sunday she began holding her eyes closed and refused to eat. I separated all chickens and started Corid Sunday night for all chickens. She began eating again Monday night and is now eating well but will not open her eyes. No eye discharge or crust or swelling. She seems a little unsteady but normal posture. They are exposed to wet areas from duck pond and occasionally will eat some of the duck food. All other chicks are fine. Coccidiosis, virus? Keep doing corrid? :confused:
I can post a picture tomorrow. Thank you!
How is she doing today?

She is still eating well and this evening she is opening her eyes for a few seconds at a time. I will stay the course with Corrid. I haven't had luck catching a stool sample from her for testing, I may submit a "group" sample. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom