Pullet crops?

Girlmomx3

Songster
Oct 12, 2021
Hey guys! I have 12 chicks. 8 are 3 weeks old and my friend gave me 4 that are 5 weeks old. I noticed the ones she dropped off had enlarged crops so I examined mine closer and noticed they are also slightly larger. I’ve never noticed on other chicks I’ve had. They are kept inside in a covered 6’x3’ tub with two brooder plates. All are on starter feed and recently introduced chick grit. I refill their feed twice a day but leave it in all day (although they knock it over). I put vitamin/electrolytes in their water and they have fresh water at all times.

Is this normal? The 4 with larger crops seem to have no change. The 8 I originally had I do see they get smaller and larger at times.

I was cleaning their area in the photo but one large waterer and two feeders are usually in the middle.
16022909-BD68-41B5-A9FC-19D46B2CC566.jpeg

From that picture all appears to be normal. They are ready for a larger enclosure.
Really 😬 I was hoping this would be okay until they are ready to be outside. It’s 6’x3’ and about 18” tall. Maybe I’ll put the gates around it and over it so it’s 3’? I usually only keep 8 chicks so taking the others in I may have to think of something. The picture only shows 1/2 of the length I just open one side. Last chicks I used an old crib and man was that messy. Before them I used a baby pool haha trial and error going on over here.

Back
Top Bottom