pullet egg laying question fertile ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okiehen, Feb 11, 2009.

1. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Okay I know that hens stay fertile from the same rooster for 3 to 4 weeks from mating.
    This is my question if a pullet has never laid an egg but the rooster was doing his thing. Will she still stay fertile from that rooster after being moved for 3 to 4 weeks? Or will she need to lay eggs for 3 to 4 weeks?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I don't think she'll be fertile if there are no eggs formed yet. Even if she began to lay after you took her away from the roo, her first eggs will probably be to small to hatch-- there's not enough room for the chick inside.

I usually wait until the hen is laying and the eggs get to normal size. Then put her with the roo and the eggs after the first four or five days will be fertile for (I think) about a week. (could be longer, not really sure, because I leave them with the roo all the time.)
    Hope that helps.......

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    OOOhh good question Okie, I too would await a good answer.

AL

4. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Maybe this will help. I have checked the eggs from this pullet. She had no roo in the pen with her after I moved her.
    All the eggs have been fertile since she started laying.
    Now I'm just wondering how long, she will stay fertile.
    Edited to Add, I wont her clear from the mix roo, so I can put her with the pure roo.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say for about 2 weeks or so. I had pullets that had not layed yet and when they did there first egg was fertile.

6. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I was hoping to keep the pullet by her self till she laid clear eggs and then I would know for sure.
    But I had to put her in with the roo. So now I'm just wondering how long till this roo will be for sure with out a doubt the sire of the chicks if I hatched some.
    Thanks for all your help.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

3-4 weeks. Most peeps wait the 4 weeks just to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by