1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scottchy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. scottchy

scottchy Out Of The Brooder

Hello BYC members, i,m wondering if anybody could pass on some experience and answer a simple question for me?
    approximately how long does it take for pullet eggs to start sizing up to their full size?
    Thank you in advance
    Scott :)

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello!

In my personal experience it is has usually been a few weeks. I did have one bird who started laying a bit young and her's were more gradual, maybe two months? But she seems to be more the exception rather than the norm and was visibly not yet physically mature when she started laying.

3. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 11 pullets all 24 weeks old. So far only 8 are laying and have been for about 3 or 4 weeks.
    There eggs range from small to medium. But I can tell they are slowly getting bigger.
    They are barred rock, black sex link, and buff orphington and white rock.
    I know they should all be laying large eggs.
    Just like you I'm not sure when thats going to happen.[​IMG]

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    When we got our red sexlinks they were about 8 months old. They were already laying what I'd consider "large" eggs. It's been about 2 months now and they're increasing in size...we get a few I'd consider "jumbo" and lots that would be "extra large". It might depend on the specific chicken too. We have 1 that consistently lays really long eggs...jumbo in length but really big around. Others lay really chunky sort of eggs that are really big around but not quite as long. It should take a month or so for the "kinks" to get worked out of their systems...you should start seeing a decent gradual increase in size after that.

5. scottchy

scottchy Out Of The Brooder

wow guys thanks for all the great input, they may be small eggs but boy are the tasty :)

6. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    The one on the right is normally the size I get from my 3 sex links - medium size compared to store bought. The one on the left looks jumbo! This is only the second one I have gotten this big. They have been laying for 5 weeks. The second one I got when they first started laying was this big, and a double yolker. I'm pretty sure this one is too. It is from the same hen as the first jumbo one, I can tell by the shell, They are all different and it is fascinating!

[​IMG]

7. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Those look much like two of mine. Two of my RSL's lay those long, thinner ones and Blondie's always have what I think looks like a "sleep wrinkle" on the shell, LOL. We we first got them in early August, the eggs were what I'd class a medium to large. Now, they're mostly large to extra large with a few jumbos mixed in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by