Pullet has lump in throat

Bang

Chirping
Apr 9, 2023
Recently one my 5 week old ameraucanas has developed a lump in its throat, and seems to always have what looks like reguritated food in and around its mouth. It seems somewhat distressed and every vet by me is closed today for the holiday. If anyone knows what this could be and if theres a way I can treat it until I can get her proper help I would be beyond grateful.

Attachments

• 20230409_081656.jpg
    20230409_081656.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230409_081927.jpg
    20230409_081927.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 3
Recently one my 5 week old ameraucanas has developed a lump in its throat, and seems to always have what looks like reguritated food in and around its mouth. It seems somewhat distressed and every vet by me is closed today for the holiday. If anyone knows what this could be and if theres a way I can treat it until I can get her proper help I would be beyond grateful.
Following I'm having same with mine I just left a post as well. Her lump is halfway down her esophagus. I did olive oil in syringe a small amount then gently massaged down it seemed to help a little last night but it's back like food is getting trapped

You chick's beak is malformed. The lower mandible is super short and the top mandible has a wicked downward bend to it - like a parrot. My guess would be that the lump is the tongue and it collapsed into her throat because the muscles that are needed to hold it in place did not develop.

These types of deformities are common is EE, Amerucanas, Silkies, and Polish. My EE has a very severe crossbeak and his tongue collapsed into his throat at a couple of weeks old. They can live very long and happy lives with a few changes to the feed.

Although, CB is primarily genetic, it can be caused by trauma. I cannot tell if that's food in her mouth or infection. Infection in chickens looks more like a chunky, yellow cottage cheese. I'm wondering if that's what you're dealing with.

20230409_081656a.jpg

Last edited:
You chick's beak is malformed. The lower mandible is super short and the top mandible has a wick downward bend to it - like a parrot. My guess would be that the lump is the tongue and it collapsed into her throat because the muscles that are needed to hold it in place did not develop.

These types of deformities are common is EE, Amerucanas, Silkies, and Polish. My EE has a very severe crossbeak and his tongue collapsed into his throat at a couple of weeks old. They can live very long and happy lives with a few changes to the feed.

Although, CM is primarily genetic, it can be caused by trauma. I cannot tell if that's food in her mouth or infection. Infection in chickens looks more like a chunky, yellow cottage cheese. I'm wondering if that's what you're dealing with.

View attachment 3461241
How do I get the chicks tongue back where it belongs, and what changes do you suggest I make to its diet? I really appreciate your help.

@MilesFluffybutt
Brings up a good point. Birds with malformed beaks are more likely to get am infection. They have a harder time drinking, as well as eating, and food can build up, causing infection.
Moist food is easier for theaspirated.
You can use a syring to help rinse her mouth, but you need to be careful. Squirt it sideways and out of her mouth, so that she doesn't aspirate.

How do I get the chicks tongue back where it belongs, and what changes do you suggest I make to its diet? I really appreciate your help.
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to move the tongue back into the proper position. It's going to sit in that little pocket below the lower mandible. My CB is 4 years old and his tongue being in that position has never given him trouble. She'll still try to use it, especially when she's pecking around, but it will provide the same functionality as if were in the appropriate place. She'll adjust just fine to her disability. Chickens are very adaptable.

Regarding feed, as it was suggested above, moistened feed is a great place to start. Put it in a deep, wide dish and watch her eat. If she seems to struggle, you can make it soupier. As my CB's conditioned worsened, I had to adjust the mash thickness to his preference. I actually blend in extras -like baby food (kale, squash, spinch, fruits/veggies, meats, etc) and nut butters. He really likes peanut butter.

Be sure to check her crop after she eats. If it feels full and heavy, that's great! If it feels lighter and kind of airy, like a balloon, try adjusting the height of the bowl by placing it higher or lower so she isn't swallowing as much air when she eats.

Since your chick's beak isn't misaligned in the same way a CB's is, she may be able to eat regular chicken food without much trouble.

You'll have to assist her in other ways, though. Preening can be a challenge for her since she may not be able to get the feather sheaths off as effectively. If she eats a mash, you'll have to help her get the food off her feathers. But I use all of that as bonding time.

Back
Top Bottom