Pullet hurt leg, now has curled toes...Infection???

ajay

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
My little Lucy hurt her leg--she was attacked by my dog.
sad.png
She spent a few days not being able to stand or move much at all. After a few days of rest, she started hobbling, a big improvement. She was moving around fairly well despite her hobble. I put her in the coop for one night with the other chickens after being squawked at by her and the others and now her toes on her bad leg are curled and she is dragging it behind her. Did she re-injure her leg or is this a sign of infection? Any thoughts or ideas on what to do? Her leg is very hot
sad.png
but she eats & drinks. Her poops are a little runny, but nothing I haven't seen from any of our chickens before.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Quote:
Poor Lucy........separate her ASAP and keep her separated till she is healed. She could have gotten picked on by the others last night. If the leg is very hot that could be a sign of infection yes. Is there any discolored skin? The dog attack stressed her out bigtime and probably banged her up pretty good too. Pedialyte w/o iron in the water for her lots of TLC and possibly a round of antibiotics for the infection. Heat is a sign of infection. Did she have any broken skin from the dog attack?

I don't see any discolored skin. When she first got hurt, we checked her legs and didn't see anything. A day or two later, she had a red splotch--figured it was blood, but no bone protrusion or anything and it just stayed there. It didn't wipe off with antibiotic ointment or a washcloth. We put the triple antibiotic ointment on it for 2 days and it went away.

How would I get antibiotics for her? I live in the city. Avian vets aren't really common around here.

I can go to the feed store tomorrow. What am I looking for specifically?

Quote:
OK, I have used TYLAN50. Good all around med, easy to get etc... I like to give injections [you should be able to get syringes &needles at the feed store]. I use insulin syringes myself [cuz I got em'] and it is .1ml for banty size OR 1.5 ml for LF. Once a day for 4days. If there is still no big response you can continue for another 3 days. 7 days total. You can reuse the needle just douse it in alchol after use. Have you ever given a birdie a shot??

No. But my husband can do it. Lucy's only 7 weeks, so she is still a little thing. I'm guessing maybe half that dosage?

Quote:
This is what I do, I fill the syringe with 7 days worth of med and just inject alitte everyday. I would go ahead and use almost .1ml. Play it by ear...hows that sound?

Sounds good.
smile.png
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom