Pullet laying "fart eggs" everyday for a week???

La_TomboyGirl

Songster
13 Years
Jun 24, 2008
NW Louisiana
I have several young POL hens that could be laying any time, but only one should be laying the green eggs, the Standard EE. The others are all bantams- silkies, cochins (smooth & frizzle), & one that "appears" to be a smooth dark blue sizzle (sold to me as a silkie chick)...So, the question is: which is more likely...Is it just a newbie thing for the EE, or could the "sizzle" be the one laying the tiny green eggs daily, if she may have some EE in the mix somewhere? She's super tiny, like the size of a pigeon, & looks like several other smooth sizzles I've seen on here. Has anyone else had a standard hen continuously lay tiny eggs? Just curious...Thanks!
idunno.gif

Hmmm...talking to myself again. LOL There was yet another tiny green egg in the nest box this afternoon. Each one is the same size, shape & color every time. I guess I might try leaving the EE in the coop one day & then I can verify who it is...

I've got a new EE that is an Ameraucana I crossed with a Barred Rock. She lays considerably small mint green eggs as opposed to her size. I keep hoping they'll get bigger, but they're definately a grade a SMALL...

My EE pullet is laying "big fart eggs". Not teeny tiny but about half the size of regular store bought eggs. I'm wondering the same thing. Will they get any bigger? She's a standard to and a big girl.

mmaddie's mom :

Umm... excuse me ... but what is a "fart egg" ... I saw that as the title to your post and had to check it out ... it's not a term that I'm familiar with. Always willing to learn something new.

Other than being a rediculously funny term, a "fart egg" is a very small egg.

The eggs should get bigger as time goes on; eggs are small at the beginning of laying.
smile.png

Quote:
Other than being a rediculously funny term, a "fart egg" is a very small egg.

The eggs should get bigger as time goes on; eggs are small at the beginning of laying.
smile.png

Oh... I've had several of them... like the size of a quarter (only egg shaped)... never knew that was what they were called.
tongue.png

My understanding is that when a pullet starts to lay her eggs are very small and they gradually increase in size as she gets going. I think (but am not sure) that a fart egg is one that is layed by a hen that usually lays normal sized eggs but had a hiccup in the egg making machinery and layed a funny small egg.

You are so lucky on the mint green!!

too bad when we have babies we can't have small ones and then they increase in size to get the 'ol "parts" in working condition before the 8-9 pound ones come lol!

Thanks for the replies. We've raised several layers, but only 1, another EE, did the tiny egg @ the beginning of her laying career, & only the first one was small, like a bird egg & the rest were regular. The rest of the girls' eggs were a bit smaller than a med. egg, & got bigger as time went on, but never this little. Maybe she's just got her own thing going here. I guess time will tell, but just wondered why they are the exact size of the other bantam girls' eggs, just a different color, & coming daily, so thought it might be a lil green-layer bantam girl hiding in here. I wish I had a better word than "fart egg", but that the first one I heard to describe it,& it's stuck in there. I call them 'baby eggs" around the house though, so the kids aren't going around saying fart egg to the world!!! AND THEY WOULD TOO! LOL
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom