Pullet losing skin (yes), vet has no clue

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
This is 3-month old pullet who started losing skin from her neck and now going to her ears and eyes, also skin above beak is pilling off. She is losing skin on her feet as well. I took her to the vet and he had no clue what this may be.
I initially sprayed with anti-parasit spray for a week, no effect. Now I am putting gentamicin (vet suggested) "to see what will happen". I cannot see any parasite and in this time of the year, I doubt it is parasite besides it should've died when I sprayed the head for a week.

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_083842.jpg
    IMG_20201103_083842.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20201103_083849.jpg
    IMG_20201103_083849.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20201103_084702.jpg
    IMG_20201103_084702.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201103_085229.jpg
    IMG_20201103_085229.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 45
It could be an immune problem/ autoimmune skin disease. They are rare but if the lesions are not responding to antibiotics or other topical meds for the more common diseases, it could be immune mediated. Also, AI disease favors mucocutaneous junctions - around the eyes, feet, mouth, etc. AI vasculitis likes the extremities - toes, beak, etc. In that case, the treatment is immune suppressive doses of steroids. I would do a bacterial culture and sensitivity to see if it's a weird antibiotic resistant bacteria like MRSA or a nasty E coli. With the skin coming off, you need antibiotics on board anyway, for secondary bacterial infection.

This is 3-month old pullet who started losing skin from her neck and now going to her ears and eyes, also skin above beak is pilling off. She is losing skin on her feet as well. I took her to the vet and he had no clue what this may be.
I initially sprayed with anti-parasit spray for a week, no effect. Now I am putting gentamicin (vet suggested) "to see what will happen". I cannot see any parasite and in this time of the year, I doubt it is parasite besides it should've died when I sprayed the head for a week.
Make sure you keep the skin moist to prevent drying out. Mites ruled out? Neem oil can
treat. Very powerful. Sparingly in bucket with lot of water, chicken bath.
Separate from other chickens?

Some parasites are naked to the human eye.
It almost sounds like POX. or Depluming SCABIES.
Check out : Depluming Scabies in Birds. on WAG website. A medicated shampoo used for dogs, cats and horses: Sebozole. Place one teaspoon
in bath water, apply to chicken and soak for 15 minutes, wetting head and all. Then rinse chicken quickly and blow dry and towel dry chicken. rids the mites and soothes the chickens skin.Repeat eightdays later to break the cycle of mites. May have to treat all the chickens in coop if shared with infected chickens.
Active ingredients: Miconazole Nitrate 2% and Chlorosylenol 1%.
Hope all turns out well.

I initially sprayed with anti-parasit spray for a week, no effect.
Looks like mechanical damage caused by excessive scratching.

What was it that you sprayed with?

Scabies is a generic term used for some types of mite. Scaly leg mites are usually under leg scales. Deplumitng mites can be anywhere. And a vet should be able to detect them under a microscope.

Are you sure you didn't have a hawk or raccoon attack or anything to that effect? Any bullying?

Regarding mites there are hundreds of types of them. The following link show what some species look like under microscope..
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Paras...cal_and_Veterinary_Importance/Burrowing_mites

This is better information regarding chicken parasites..
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry

The darker part is the where the skin is trying to heal over. At least that's how my birds that got scalped started off healing.

I am treating with enilconazole gel and I will be sending some skin to a human lab to identify what this thing is..
Very exciting, I hope I see your results!

Is she displaying any other symptoms like raspy breathing? Her eyes are closed.. is she sleepy? Eating, drinking, itching,.. etc.. please come up with some descriptions if you're able.. Are you able to post broader view photos of the whole bird?

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

I looked real close at the pictutes. Looks like deplumming scabies.
those mites burrow deep into the skin and the result is what your pictures show.
Now it has a seconary kn bacterial infection, oozing has yellow tint to the secretions.
Abx (antibiotics)help with secondary infection but still need to treat the scabies.

Apologies for the silence on my side. The lab result came out today - they found E. Coli!!? No yeast, no parasite. Surprising... I didn't know E. Coli could cause a skin damage , BUT I am now thinking... She is constantly scratching her head... Is it possible that some infected with E. Coli poop was transmitted from her nails to her head? I doubt... She has a headache as she is constantly shaking her head as though trying to get rid of something. I will take a picture tomorrow during the day (night here now). The lab test showed E. Coli is susceptible to Gentamicin so I will put some gel tonight. And I guess I will have to stop Enilconazole.. Actually... Now another thought crossed my mind- what if she had some yeast and Enilconazole eradicated it? I won't know I guess...

Back
Top Bottom