Pullet losing skin (yes), vet has no clue

I initially sprayed with anti-parasit spray for a week, no effect.
Looks like mechanical damage caused by excessive scratching.

What was it that you sprayed with?

Scabies is a generic term used for some types of mite. Scaly leg mites are usually under leg scales. Deplumitng mites can be anywhere. And a vet should be able to detect them under a microscope.

Are you sure you didn't have a hawk or raccoon attack or anything to that effect? Any bullying?

Regarding mites there are hundreds of types of them. The following link show what some species look like under microscope..
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Paras...cal_and_Veterinary_Importance/Burrowing_mites

This is better information regarding chicken parasites..
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry

The darker part is the where the skin is trying to heal over. At least that's how my birds that got scalped started off healing.

I am treating with enilconazole gel and I will be sending some skin to a human lab to identify what this thing is..
Very exciting, I hope I see your results!

Is she displaying any other symptoms like raspy breathing? Her eyes are closed.. is she sleepy? Eating, drinking, itching,.. etc.. please come up with some descriptions if you're able.. Are you able to post broader view photos of the whole bird?

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Apologies for the silence on my side. The lab result came out today - they found E. Coli!!? No yeast, no parasite. Surprising... I didn't know E. Coli could cause a skin damage , BUT I am now thinking... She is constantly scratching her head... Is it possible that some infected with E. Coli poop was transmitted from her nails to her head? I doubt... She has a headache as she is constantly shaking her head as though trying to get rid of something. I will take a picture tomorrow during the day (night here now). The lab test showed E. Coli is susceptible to Gentamicin so I will put some gel tonight. And I guess I will have to stop Enilconazole.. Actually... Now another thought crossed my mind- what if she had some yeast and Enilconazole eradicated it? I won't know I guess...

The pullet is eating and drinking well, no respiratory symptoms, she just keeps scratching herself. I couldn't take a picture as it is foggy today and at 4pm was already dark.
@EggSighted4Life so do you think she may have a respiratory problem as well? Or gastrointestinal? I haven't done fecal test for her as her poops are normal.

The pullet is eating and drinking well, no respiratory symptoms, she just keeps scratching herself. I couldn't take a picture as it is foggy today and at 4pm was already dark.
@EggSighted4Life so do you think she may have a respiratory problem as well? Or gastrointestinal? I haven't done fecal test for her as her poops are normal.

BUT I am now thinking... She is constantly scratching her head... Is it possible that some infected with E. Coli poop was transmitted from her nails to her head? I doubt... She has a headache as she is constantly shaking her head as though trying to get rid of something.
I first stated it looked like itching damage.. and if it caused a wound.. some wounds are extra itchy as they heal for some reason. It could be a self repeating itching healing wound. A mini Elizabethan style collar like used for dogs, might offer some protection while it heels! Even turned around towards the body instead of the head to keep the feet down. The E-coli IMO Is indeed secondary to the damaged skin and NOT what caused it or the itching!

Out of the hundreds of chicks I've hatched and maybe hundreds more that I've bought.. I've seen TWO that scratched the side of their heads relentlessly.. falling over, etc.. even as chicks in brooder with NO prior ground or chicken exposure.. for NO apparent reason. It never went away but did diminish slightly, they developed thick dark skin in the area.. I culled (re-homed) from my flock for it.. but lived fine in a friends pet home that doesn't breed.. determined by myself to be either genetic or neurological.. since other conditions were ruled out. Once protected long enough to heal.. feathers just remain in a state of damage from continued scratching. Using a nail file to dull her nail.. might be helpful or some other way to soften the tips where they are making contact.. so it more like rubbing than scratching deep??

If her dropping are normal.. that would NOT be indicative of gastrointestinal issues.. Also she is eating and drinking well.. that agrees that gastric symptoms are not being displayed. We can only go according to the clues that are presented.

And if she has NO respiratory symptoms.. then I have no cause to consider that either.. But it can be ONE symptom of Pox which is why I asked that earlier.. noting I do know you have another displaying respiratory distress (also not Pox) and MANY things have a long incubation period.. among a flock.. all birds are considered to be exposed to if not carriers of what another presents with.. even if their immune system does a much better job fighting it off. So I cannot guarantee she won't present with something in the future.. but for now, I'm not sensing anything specific that I can point out that you aren't already aware of and/or working on.

And I'm sure I've been clear but just in case.. this is my best assessment according to my experience and understanding.. I am NOT a qualified veterinarian.. Just an avid fancier trying to help my fellow keepers and their charges.. Please ALWAYS use YOUR best judgement! :fl

An update in case this is ever useful for someone.
So the pullet got worse - she started losing skin + feathers all over her body. Took her to a vet yesterday - Microscope didn't show any parasites. The vet recommended to give her "some" antibiotics internally (is the term PO?) (I have not treated her with antibiotic internally before), so I started with Amoxicillin. I did a random choice of antibiotic, picking up one from the antibiogram, which showed E. Coli.
This vet pointed me to another presumably better birds vet (1 hour drive). Except this "better birds vet" does not receive patients now because of the quarantine, but I'll try again on Monday.

I'm not able to help, but I did want to say that my first thought was: "Can chickens get leprosy?" Unclean! Unclean!
Im sorry if that was too unsensitive but I have trained myself to laugh at everything so I don't end up a stressed mess. I'll take it down if it offends anyone.😊

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom