Pullet not preening? Feather health tips?

This is a bit of a graphic pic of her vent lol but this is what her butt looks like after the wash. I removed a lot of the poop but there’s still a lot on there (it’s more like the normal amount now?)

But you can see how much sheathing has been retained on her feathers. It’s like that all over her body, but worst around her tail and vent.

Attachments

• 97F71708-9767-4484-9EDA-3D52959239C8.jpeg
    97F71708-9767-4484-9EDA-3D52959239C8.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 8
My current best guess is that she molted badly back in August/Sept when her adult feathers finally came in and it's too cold now to do anything about it. Thankfully she has grown a lot of fluff to make up for it. I might keep giving her regular baths to help those sheaths loosen. She just let me sit with her and pick at them for a few minutes and she preened along with me. I'm sure she appreciates being in the warm house too haha

Why she's not preening is hard to determine, other than poor overall health.

A commercial mix or homemade?
Homemade. The others seem to be doing fine on it. From further observation I think she may be being bullied? She gets shooed away from the food bowl and the others don’t seem to let her dust bathe. She spends most of her time on the roost to avoid being chased. I’ve begun feeding her a handful of feed separately just so I know she’s eating enough.

From further observation I think she may be being bullied? She gets shooed away from the food bowl and the others don’t seem to let her dust bathe. She spends most of her time on the roost to avoid being chased. I’ve begun feeding her a handful of feed separately just so I know she’s eating enough.

Do you just have the one feeder? I'd have at least 2 feeders, spaced a good distance apart, ideally with clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ in between to break line of sight to make it harder for the others to guard the food.

Does that include a 'pre-mix' with all the essential minerals/vitamins/amino acids?
Ditto the multiple feeders.
No, but I do believe it’s nutritionally complete. There are more than 15 ingredients (including mineral sources) plus they get varied treats and scraps. I cannot use most commercial animal feed products because I have wheat allergy anaphylaxis and can’t come in contact with anything that has been in contact with wheat. The other chickens seem to be doing quite well on this diet so far. But if there is a specific set of nutrients that help with preening I’d love to know! I feed blueberries to help my turtles shed but I don’t think it works the same in birds.

Back
Top Bottom